Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freewing 90mm F-22 Raptor - Official Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've spent the last while fitting gear doors and thought I'd post some pics of progress so far. The doors themselves are made from Worbla thermoplastic, heated in hot water then laid over the opening to conform to the compound curves and protruding strut. Hinges are nylon DuBros with the pins ground a bit so they're removeable and the servos are 9g, Y'd into the nose door circuit at the board.
    I'll post a little video when the wires are routed, covers installed, painting completed etc. Happy New Year everyone!
    Tom

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogo View Post

I'm sorry this happened too Pat! One suggestion: set your Tx timer to start with throttle position (10 % or whatever) rather than it needing to be started manually. I did this several years ago and it's nice to not have to wonder if I remembered to start the timer!
      I'm glad your replacement Raptor is already on it's way. :Cool:
      Tom
      Wish I could Tom, and I would prefer this. But I have an old FM version of the JR XP9303 and the only way to start the timer is by pushing a button. It's very rare that I forget to start it, it's almost muscle memory now before I start the takeoff roll. Only reason I looked down at the timer was because I forgot to start it on the previous flight, and it seemed like I had gone past my 4-minute mark. I actually had 9 seconds before the warning beeper. :(
      Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
        Wish I could Tom, and I would prefer this. But I have an old FM version of the JR XP9303 and the only way to start the timer is by pushing a button. It's very rare that I forget to start it, it's almost muscle memory now before I start the takeoff roll. Only reason I looked down at the timer was because I forgot to start it on the previous flight, and it seemed like I had gone past my 4-minute mark. I actually had 9 seconds before the warning beeper. :(
        Oh I see. I meant to add "if your Tx has this feature" to my post but forgot.
        Tom

Comment

• I will probably be getting a new radio soon. I love my 9303 and have been flying it for years (converted to 2.4 of course), but since I'm moving up to bigger planes, I need something with more than 9 channels. Whatever I get will have a timer that runs only with throttle input.
          Pat

Comment

• Sorry about the loss Pat. If you can find yourself a a good used DX-18 they work well and all of your 2.4 rx's will be compatible as well.
            Don't know why they discontinued it other than to force people to spend the extra for the new 20 channel. I've heard many complaints about the new IX-12. Mostly the length of time for it to boot up when turned on.
            My YouTube Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrz...4Q-xrOOtP2C-8w

Comment

• Originally posted by bill34207 View Post
              Sorry about the loss Pat. If you can find yourself a a good used DX-18 they work well and all of your 2.4 rx's will be compatible as well.
              Don't know why they discontinued it other than to force people to spend the extra for the new 20 channel. I've heard many complaints about the new IX-12. Mostly the length of time for it to boot up when turned on.
              On the 12 just put it to sleep rather than shutting it down. Turning off the WiFi function increases battery life a bunch. It's a great radio just "different" takes a bit of learning.

Mike
              \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogo View Post
                I've spent the last while fitting gear doors and thought I'd post some pics of progress so far. The doors themselves are made from Worbla thermoplastic, heated in hot water then laid over the opening to conform to the compound curves and protruding strut. Hinges are nylon DuBros with the pins ground a bit so they're removeable and the servos are 9g, Y'd into the nose door circuit at the board.
                I'll post a little video when the wires are routed, covers installed, painting completed etc. Happy New Year everyone!
                Tom
                Wow Tom, you've knocked it out of the park once again. Looks like allot of work. Looking forward to the video.
                Brad

Comment

• Finally finished my F22. A little disappointed with the LEDs as my first set had a bad green and by the time a re-soldered a new green and buttoned everything up I noticed my green flasher is really weak. Oh well, I'm still quite pleased. With the weathering I tried to keep it very subtle. Hoping to get this in the air soon! Thank you Motion!
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by purduephigam View Post
                    Finally finished my F22. A little disappointed with the LEDs as my first set had a bad green and by the time a re-soldered a new green and buttoned everything up I noticed my green flasher is really weak. Oh well, I'm still quite pleased. With the weathering I tried to keep it very subtle. Hoping to get this in the air soon! Thank you Motion!
                    :Cool::Cool::Cool: Looks good!!! Happy New Year!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeT View Post

On the 12 just put it to sleep rather than shutting it down. Turning off the WiFi function increases battery life a bunch. It's a great radio just "different" takes a bit of learning.

Mike
                      I agree about the IX 12. Startup is a one time thing....I turn it on when I first get to the field and just hit the power button to put it to sleep between flights. If I forget to put it to sleep it tells me. Also,regarding the timer, since you can set the timer to start at any throttle setting, I set it at say 20% and then when I am making my approach and pulling back the throttle a little beep goes off to tell me I'm at 20%. Not only am I timing my battery but my landings are more consistent because I'm not guessing at the throttle setting on approach. This radio took some getting used to and I'll still be learning new functions two years from now but I love it and wouldn't go back. I studied the tutorials for quite awhile before I even bought the transmitter 'cause I am an old dog that has trouble with new tricks.

Comment

• I guess I missed the picture last picture of your total destruction. I have to admit mine not that bad, I was able to salvage all wings, rudder/elevators. Mine darted straight down and snapped in half. I didn’t think about a picture until I cleaned everything up and started to walk back.
                        After all your work you did I sure feel your pain, money is replaceable, Time is lost.

Comment

• Very nice. I like the addition of the light in the wheel well. Why didn't you paint the rudder servos though?

Originally posted by purduephigam View Post
                          Finally finished my F22. A little disappointed with the LEDs as my first set had a bad green and by the time a re-soldered a new green and buttoned everything up I noticed my green flasher is really weak. Oh well, I'm still quite pleased. With the weathering I tried to keep it very subtle. Hoping to get this in the air soon! Thank you Motion!

Comment

• Have a question for the collective knowledge base out there. My F22 is 6 cell and I have 2 batteries to choose from in my inventory. Roaring Top 6250 35C; Gens Ace 6200 60C. The 6200 Gens Ace is heavier but would like to run the 6250 Roaring Top due to weight and flight times but worried about the "C" rating.

Your suggestions?

Comment

• My Roaring Top 6250 35C Have been running well in my Avanti, A-4, L-39. I haven't flown my F-22 yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by wolpertinger View Post
                                Have a question for the collective knowledge base out there. My F22 is 6 cell and I have 2 batteries to choose from in my inventory. Roaring Top 6250 35C; Gens Ace 6200 60C. The 6200 Gens Ace is heavier but would like to run the 6250 Roaring Top due to weight and flight times but worried about the "C" rating.

Your suggestions?
                                I think George flies them in his

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                  Very nice. I like the addition of the light in the wheel well. Why didn't you paint the rudder servos though?

Great question. This didn't even cross my mind. Oh well, easy mini project if I ever find myself twiddling my thumbs. Might actually spray the main gear lights a little to dampen the amount of light output.

Comment

• Originally posted by wolpertinger View Post
                                    Have a question for the collective knowledge base out there. My F22 is 6 cell and I have 2 batteries to choose from in my inventory. Roaring Top 6250 35C; Gens Ace 6200 60C. The 6200 Gens Ace is heavier but would like to run the 6250 Roaring Top due to weight and flight times but worried about the "C" rating.

Your suggestions?
                                    When I got my 6S version, the RT 6250 is the pack I used. Worked great! I tested the RoaringTops for a true C, and they come in right at 20C true. This means you can run this pack at 125A all day without harming it. I don't think this setup pulls more than 120A.
                                    Pat

Comment

• What kind of flight times were you getting with the 6250 packs Pat? I picked up some RT 3S 3300mah packs for a bird and got no better flight times than I did with 3S Tgy 2650mh packs. I was a bit underwhelmed, so am reluctant to try RT 6S 6250 if flight times are not better than Admiral 5000mah packs.

Comment

• Originally posted by TRMRC View Post
                                        Mine did the same “exact” thing, Freewing Bec failure. Went into fail safe and flew away into a near by field then did a nose plant. The nose was 12 inches into the farmers feild. Ouch. Buy my Raptor was a total loss. I remember dropping the landing gear then the flaps about the same time. I still have Jeti logs I have to send to Jeti to take a look at.
                                        The Esc is fine, just the UBEC is a total POFS !
                                        I think I'm just gonna throw in a Castle 10 amp BEC and take out the OEM one. Not willing to lose a $550+ plane to a crappy BEC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Patriotic_Banana View Post

I think I'm just gonna throw in a Castle 10 amp BEC and take out the OEM one. Not willing to lose a $550+ plane to a crappy BEC.
                                          If you have room I would just tie the Castle in behind the OEM. that way you have a back up for the OEM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X