Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Freewing Twin 80mm/90mm A-10 Thunderbolt II Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Topshot19 View Post
    this is what I used. It comes with some small brushes.
    Very nice. I have never tried anything like that before. Turned out great.

My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• It’s a lot more expensive than it used to be. I got it for like $20 now it’s $50!

Comment

• Yowza! Does it go on like regular paint? I've only ever used enamels from a rattle can.
        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• I have a set of trailing link struts that I would like to trade off for Oleo struts.

Thanks,
          Paul
          Click image for larger version

Name:	85A5F9F6-4CCE-4D4C-A61A-60AB787CE8CC.jpeg
Views:	639
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	185803

Comment

• It’s like using a charcle. It’s not wet like paint is. You sorta just rub it on. It’s really good for weathering. You can apply it very thin or put it on thick like i did. There are some good YouTube videos about it.

Comment

• Very cool, I will check out YT...
              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Egad! Had no idea the original gray paint on the Freewing A-10 was so sensitive. I suspect they all are. The first couple of tries at masking with fine line tape lifted the gray up right down to the foam! Didn't know that was going to happen. So after looking up a few things on line I found a really neat masking technique using strips of material soaked in water and squeegeed out. Makes a decent edge and lifts right off the surface without lifting the paint. Then you can use a rattle can of just about anything. I've been using Rustoleum 2X which works great. Masking Link is attached.

Comment

• HI there Bbolz, what kind of fine line tape are you using? Are you masking a straight or curved line? Many of us agree that even low tac masking tapes can still at times lift up paint from foam airplanes. One trick is to let the tape touch your pants a few times to reduce the stickiness. You want it to feel like a Post-It, but not much more sticky than that. In fact, I use Post-Its for almost all of my hard line masking work. It has never lifted paint.

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Alpha, Amazingly soft touch on all the detail. Very nice. Wow! I have much to learn. Best, LB
                    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• weather dependent, will be putting mine up on its maiden tomorrow or the day after. Wx here in CO may or may not cooperate, do most of you recommend the 86mm back inverted CG measurement? also, I am using a LEMON receiver with satellite ant, how are those of you that have them or use satellites mounting these? just 90degrees to the receiver ants?

Comment

• Good luck on your maiden! I just put mine together this evening. It's been a couple years since I had mine so I too wouldn't mind a confirmation on CG. As for me I am using an Admiral rx with satellite. I mount it along the starboard side of the inside fuse, 90 degrees, yes.

I plan on maidening this weekend, hopefully on grass as I don't want any Bucking Bronco landings on a maiden! :Scared:

Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-maiden.jpg
Views:	600
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	187139
                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• I am running just a little over 80mm for my CG. I don't think 86 will cause you any problems. Best wishes on the maidens.

Comment

• Thanks Alpha! I never thought of using postits. Yes, I need to make curves. I saw a technique on line that a guy uses strips of material soaked in water for trim masking. That works ok but is not as clean a line as fine line tape. That's the automotive trim masking that we used to use on fiberglass fuselages.

Comment

• Wet newspaper also works good for masking. I have used this method several times.
                              Pat

Comment

• Thanks! I'll try newspaper. Right now I'll try anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by bbolz View Post
                                  Thanks! I'll try newspaper. Right now I'll try anything.
                                  I used clear mat self paper made by Contact on my A-10 paint job. Picked it up at WalMart low tack and didn't pull up any of the grey.Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0302.JPG Views:	0 Size:	80.2 KB ID:	187233Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0409.JPG Views:	0 Size:	104.5 KB ID:	187234
                                  Mike
                                  \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• MikeT, I'll say it again and again, that is some stellar workmanship!
                                    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• I concur! :Cool:
                                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Beautiful Mike T. Thanks for the tip. If I buy shelf paper my wife may have other ideas for me! Guess I better buy enough! I know the Flipper scheme was just an Arctic camo experiment but I think it's so cool, no pun intended.

Comment

• After two years of on and off tinkering here is a short video taken today at TiredIron Aviation of my A-10 powder cannon in action.

Comment

Working...
                                          X