Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anyone else finding the red Avanti's 9-blade to be noticeably more efficient than the yellow's 12-blade? I'm flying the same batteries, at the same speed, for the same duration and coming down with more battery reserve. I notice no difference in speed or sound with the new fan.

Maybe it's the cooler temps or just the confused perceptions of an old man but I'm pleased.

Regards,
    Don

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
      Hopefully not much longer, BPINE. If you haven't already, please enter your email address into the Notify Me field on the Avanti's product page, and our automated system will email you as soon as the Avanti is restocked and ready to ship. We've had trouble keeping these in stock for the year and a half since it was first released, because they keep selling out faster than we can get more. 'Good problem to have, I suppose!
      I found a work around, after seeing the L39 fly I bought one now I can wait more patiently for the Avanti.

Comment

• Don, the 9B is indeed more efficient than the 12B. I'm glad you're pleased!

BPINE, good choice, I think you'll be happy with your decision. Thanks for your support!
        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• It seems that the Avanti tends to land rather on three wheels than on the mains first, especially when landing with full flaps. Due to the short flying field we have, full flaps are mandatory and I wonder wether nose heavyness or tail heavyness would help coming in with higher alpha. Could anyone give me some advice?

Comment

• Hi Walo,
            How short and steep is your approach? The Avanti can be flared, but if I were to flare it I would actually prefer to do so without any flaps in. A slightly aft CG will slow your landing speed but potentially leave you vulnerable to being tail heavy, and all the negative behavior that follows. You don't want to be nose heavy, that's for certain --this will increase your landing speeds.

Full flaps on the Avanti, by the way, don't necessarily slow your landing speed. Rather they just allow you to carry more throttle during your approach, so you could theoretically bail out more easily if you get too slow or otherwise need to go around. But take your Avanti a little higher, without flaps, gear down, and practicing flying with the nose slightly high, and you'll see that in fact you can control a fairly consistent angle of descent with throttle and elevator alone. Depending on your field's approach (distance, height clearance, etc) and your runway length and material type, landing this way might be simpler for you. It's worth trying high.

Comment

• Hi Alpha

Thank you for your Swift Reply. We do indeed have a very short field of 60m (approx. 200 feet) and we are used to Approach on the high side anyway. My experience, so far was, that using half flaps only, my Avanti Comes in hot. I will try as you have suggested, knowing that flaps up give you a nose high attitude. I am not so sure whether this would work with a high Approach, but will see. I am also flying the Mirage 2000 into that field as well as the Taft Viper and the smaller Avanti from FMS. The latter two behave like I was used to when flying planes myself, nose high at touch down with full flaps. Of course the Mirage is a different animal and Comes in high alpha being a delta.

Comment

• Hi Walo, with a 200 foot field, I'm guessing you also don't have a long flat approach?

I wouldn't recommend bringing in the Avanti at the same AOA as the Mirage. But, it doesn't need to be flat and three pointed, either. Practice what amounts to a wheels down high alpha pass about 20 feet up and see if you can dial in a more reliable approach speed/descent with your Avanti. I'd guess around 20 degrees nose up should be sustainable, with minimal throttle, without flaps. A headwind helps, but this isn't necessary. Instead of coming down flat then flaring, you're basically keeping flare the whole way down. Sort of like the space shuttle. But if you're operating the Mirage confidently, you'll have no trouble with the Avanti. Good luck!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mach9 View Post
                  Less blades should be more efficient but sound less like a turbine. Has anyone had any more flap issues? I have not after receiving the redone hand soldered wing circuit boards. Is the wing moulds for the flaps the same or have they corrected that? Any chance there is a front strut support included? The new triple size control horns are holding well and have not pulled out like the older tiny ones.
                  I have had flap problems with my new Red Avanti S. This is a problem that is unique to the Avanti S. Not just the red Avanti S, but also the yellow Avanti S.

The solution is to make sure you have your Spectrum radio flaps set to "Normal Speed". Do not use any delay!!!

I have had this problem with only the Freewing Avanti S, both the yellow and red versions. I'm on my third Avanti S, I love this plane, but I have had flap issues on each plane, until a friend recommended using "Normal Speed" for flap deployment.

I would also like to hear any feedback from Motion RC on this issue. I'm not sure why this is only a problem with the Avanti S, but I do own/fly 3 other Freewing jets that do not have this problem.

I fly 3 other Freewing jets that I do use 2 second delay for the flaps. I believe it makes for a smoother transition in flight and it sure looks more realistic.

I also fly the Freewing 90mm Venom 2

I also fly the Freewing A-4 Skyhawk

I also fly the 70mm Red Hawk

The Freewing 90mm Venom 2, 80mm A-4 Skyhawk and the 70mm Red Hawk all work great with the Spectrum 2 second delay on the flaps, but not the Avanti S.

Again, the Avanti S is the best jet ever as far as I'm concerned!

Comment

• Hi Lipripper, I'm glad you're enjoying your Avantis!

Regarding the servos, we've been mentioning this in almost every new plane thread since the MiG-21 in 2016, so don't worry we've been watching this and collecting data for some time. It is not a "flap" related issue so much as it is a "slowing" issue. The servo used in the flap position in most of our planes is also used on other flight surfaces on those planes. The difference is that the servos used in the flap position are sometimes slowed by users. However, the issue remains extremely rare, which hampers diagnosis. Statistically speaking, only a tiny, tiny fraction of pilots report servo issues in the flap position, but of those that do, almost all of them do share a common theme --they were slowing the servo. So logic would point to slowing as the probable although inconsistent cause. We've looked at possible correlations with receiver type, gyro frequency, ubec, etc, but none are clear.

Of course, most pilots, including people like you who have had zero issues with slowed flaps on your other planes, would defensively say "But I always slow my flaps and never had problems", so you can see the dilemma. That data is true, too. All we can observe is that there is only one consistent correlation, even if it is still a rare correlation, across a multi-year international data set across many thousands of aircraft, servos, and flights.

For the record, the Freewing factory pilots still slow their servos on some of the EDFs as a matter of their personal preferences, and I've never witnessed a flap servo failure. That's their prerogative as pilots, as it is for all our customers. But personally, I eliminate that variable altogether by running the servo at normal speed.

With similar logic, most of us don't arrange our receiver antennas in perfectly opposite planes from each other inside the aircraft, or don't range check before every flight, and yet most of us probably haven't experienced a related issue. But that doesn't change the fact that doing those measures would undeniably reduce our statistical risk of encountering reception issues.

Another fun example: Getting bit by a shark already carries a very low risk of happening, but clearly the guy who never gets in the ocean will lower that risk even further. I prefer to not get in the slowed servo ocean. But I don't cynically think those of you surfing are all automatically going to get eaten.

​​​​​​

Comment

• I have had two issues on 93 aircraft. One was from Hobby King. The Avios Seafury didn't like 6 second delay. That is what I always run... But 4 second was just fine!!! And the FMS P-51B didn't like the delay until the servos were fully "burned in" by 8 minutes on the servo tester. Then, the stutter and/or lack of deployment was gone and she is at 6 seconds to this very day.... So, for whatever that is worth Alpha, more DATA!!!! LOL Folks may scoff at 6 seconds, but if you fly like it is full scale and deploy your flaps at the appropriate point of approach and airspeed, then all is well.... Try dumping full flaps at 230 knots, or even gear for that matter, and then stuff breaks!!!!!!! (full scale, of course) :Thinking:

Comment

• There is always the option of pulling the problem channel off of the multifunction board (or blue box) and connecting flaps direct to the RX, thus not confusing the multifunction board.

If you have the radio with the servo speed option, you should have the ability to pull most channels off the multifunction board and do the mixing in the TX.

Servo slow in the TX just slows the rate of change of value sent from TX to the RX. That shouldn't cause problems for any servo direct connected to the RX (if its not one of the RXs with multifunctions like SAFE). But it can cause issues with retracts or programmed mixes/values in a device between RX and servo.

Chances of dying swimming at the beach are over 100 times as much due to drowning vs getting bitten by a shark (assuming you know how to swim)
                        But your chances of living are not as good if you are trying to carry an anchor.
                        FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• I can't fly my Avanti S without the use of flaps (1/2 for take off, full for landing). I use a 4 second deployment. The thing balloons like crazy when they deploy immediately. With elevator compensation, it only works until the plane slows down, then with all that down elevator, the plane heads for dirt and on landing, it's getting close to the ground - not a good time to be fighting with it as it tries to take a dirt nap. If it's a circuitry issue, I'd prefer to fix the electronic issue than to use no delay. If it's the board, then by-pass the board.

Comment

• What a great sport jet ! The 9 blade 3550 1900kv outrunner with 100 amp esc does not disappoint. Efficient ? Oh yeah ! Want something smooth to fly? Here's the ticket.

Yesterday, Pilot Ryan performed the maiden. Then Captain Mike got some time on her. I followed. We were at the North Dallas RC Club in Aubrey Texas, home field for Anthony, aka The Flying Ant.

Later in the day, I flew along side my buddy Scott, aka Waytooslow. He has the Yellow 12B Avanti with over 200 flights off grass. We estimated by eyeball that the Red Avanti has a sight speed advantage ( not much). The sound is nearly identical between the two. On a 3.5 min flight , my Admiral 6S 5000 measured 3.91V across the board. This was mixed throttle.

Anthony provided the following film footage which is very well done:

Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
                            Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
                            I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

• Congrats dahawk. The Avanti is the best all around performing foam EDF aircraft I’ve ever flown.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                                Hi Lipripper, I'm glad you're enjoying your Avantis!

Regarding the servos, we've been mentioning this in almost every new plane thread since the MiG-21 in 2016, so don't worry we've been watching this and collecting data for some time. It is not a "flap" related issue so much as it is a "slowing" issue. The servo used in the flap position in most of our planes is also used on other flight surfaces on those planes. The difference is that the servos used in the flap position are sometimes slowed by users. However, the issue remains extremely rare, which hampers diagnosis. Statistically speaking, only a tiny, tiny fraction of pilots report servo issues in the flap position, but of those that do, almost all of them do share a common theme --they were slowing the servo. So logic would point to slowing as the probable although inconsistent cause. We've looked at possible correlations with receiver type, gyro frequency, ubec, etc, but none are clear.

Of course, most pilots, including people like you who have had zero issues with slowed flaps on your other planes, would defensively say "But I always slow my flaps and never had problems", so you can see the dilemma. That data is true, too. All we can observe is that there is only one consistent correlation, even if it is still a rare correlation, across a multi-year international data set across many thousands of aircraft, servos, and flights.

For the record, the Freewing factory pilots still slow their servos on some of the EDFs as a matter of their personal preferences, and I've never witnessed a flap servo failure. That's their prerogative as pilots, as it is for all our customers. But personally, I eliminate that variable altogether by running the servo at normal speed.

With similar logic, most of us don't arrange our receiver antennas in perfectly opposite planes from each other inside the aircraft, or don't range check before every flight, and yet most of us probably haven't experienced a related issue. But that doesn't change the fact that doing those measures would undeniably reduce our statistical risk of encountering reception issues.

Another fun example: Getting bit by a shark already carries a very low risk of happening, but clearly the guy who never gets in the ocean will lower that risk even further. I prefer to not get in the slowed servo ocean. But I don't cynically think those of you surfing are all automatically going to get eaten.

​​​​​​
                                Hello Alpha,

I live in Half Moon Bay, California, a 10 minute walk from the Pacific Ocean and I own a sea kayak. So I am a guy that gets into the ocean with the sharks. I like adrenaline, which is why I like to fly radio control jets.

My friend shot this video of me flying the new red Avanti S

Here is some haiku for you and MRC

Thanks for your response!
                                Motion R C is the best!
                                Keep up the great job!

The best color red.
                                To fly a jet on a day.
                                Cloudy sky or blue.

Comment

• After over several hundred flights now on the Freewing Avanti, I have to say, it really is my favorite jet to fly out of any jet I’ve ever owned/flown. It’s phenomenal and an incredible value.

Over the time period of all those flights, below are some things I’ve had to maintain. I’ve always perform the typical preflight inspection before I take it up in the air such as check all the screws, mounts, control surface directions, hinges, etc. I also keep an eye out for when I need replacement wheels as I fly off a paved runway and that naturally wears them down. The lights have continued to work, the control box works as it should, all the original servo’s funtion fine, and the retracts and landing gear are still original. This Avanti has really required minimal maintenance :).

As for small details on fixes of abnormalities, there are just a few.

- I’ve had only a few main gear hang-ups, when one of the main gear strut covers isn’t positioned right, not from being loose, but likely from the strut spring wearing a tad over time, just enough to not allow full retraction. Barely trimming the main gear strut cover fixed that issue instead of buying a new spring or gear. The retracts and wheels still fit fine in the wheel well, so there is not a need for me to get new retracts or struts yet. I’ve had some nose gear hang-ups as well, but that was due to the spring, which is described below.
                                  - This is not a fix I did, but it could be one if it bothers the owner enough. The nose gear doors are made of a very flexible plastic and can sometime come slightly distorted from the factory and don’t perfectly align. They can either be very gently bent to the proper position, although it is not going to be perfect, or carbon rods (or preferred material) can be glued to each inner nose door side in an aligned manner that allows the doors align near perfectly.
                                  - This next one to me is more important than the nose gear doors explained above. The nose gear door spring over time moves too often, and into a position that does not allow the nose strut to retract fully or it provides too much tension on the nose retract and the nose gear doors. You may see the spring rotated so much that it hangs down toward the ground, and that is what you don’t want to see. It was a very simple fix. I noticed the nose spring was able to rotate freely almost circular, allowing it to fall into an abnormal spot, so I extended and retracted the nose gear with the plane inverted several times to take note of the position of the spring in the best spot to eliminate hang-ups and overly taxing of the nose retract mechanism. With the spring in the proper position, I used hot glue where each side of the spring attaches to the nose gear doors to lock the spring into place and inhibit any rotation of the spring out of its proper place. Once I did that, I checked if the spring needed to be barely stretched at the ends to reduce stress on the retract mechanism, yet still allow mine nose gear doors to close fully. My spring tension was okay, so that wasn’t needed. A picture is attached below to show the hot glue on the nose gear door tabs and spring.

What a great jet! It never gets old to me.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

• Simple fix with the door spring , I did the same a few months ago but i used a dab "Goop" Then my grass field took care of the doors a few times so now i fly with the doors off

Comment

• Is there any advantage to the nine blade set uu

Comment

• Originally posted by Crash korey View Post
                                        Is there any advantage to the nine blade set uu
                                        Welcome to Hobby Squawk Crash! The 9 blade is more efficient so longer flight time and better lower end thrust so it gets off the ground better.
                                        TiredIron Aviation
                                        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Are there flight time and thrust that noticable? I have version 1 and love the color of the new one. Might get another one over the L39 . Thanks so much.

Comment

Working...
                                          X