X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post
    I just can't get myself to buy this jet, I guess it's not for everyone, I think it's the wheels, look kind of dorky, it is a sport jet though, to bad it didn't come in a military paint scheme, bet it would look good in the T-45 paint scheme.....:Cool:
    Nothing a rattle can can't fix. ;)

My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• New view for the sunset sortie. I just slapped the Mobius on the top of the tail with a bunch of Gorilla Tape. It was a bit tail heavy (ya think? lol) and I was running out of space to place the battery more forward and didn't have any extra weight so I threw in the gorilla tape roll. Hey, it ain't pretty but it worked! (Darn crosswind robbed me of the perfect greaser).

Click image for larger version  Name:	mobius.jpg Views:	1 Size:	130.1 KB ID:	78233

Click image for larger version  Name:	batt.jpg Views:	1 Size:	144.2 KB ID:	78234
      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Awesome! That's a heck of a view for sure.

Comment

• Looks like very good quality video. Apparently, the Mobius camera is not compatible with Mac OS. Can anyone recommend a good similar camera that can work with the Mac operating system. I don't have a Windows operated computer.
          GMB

Comment

• Great videos!!!
            Thanks for the pic of the camera mount...
            If I wanted to make a permanent mount on the bottom behind the gear, do you think Velcro would keep it in place or not??? I was thinking a strip of velcro twice as wide as the camera on the plane, with a strip on the camera holding it to the plane, and then another long piece not attached to the camera, but to go around it and attach to the access velcro on plane. Has any body tried something like this???
            I clear coated mine and I hate messing up that great looking finish with the tape.
            I suppose another option may be to tape it to the canopy, but I love the videos showing the gear and flap operation during flight...

Comment

• Originally posted by GMB View Post
              Looks like very good quality video. Apparently, the Mobius camera is not compatible with Mac OS. Can anyone recommend a good similar camera that can work with the Mac operating system. I don't have a Windows operated computer.
              GMB
              Not sure but you can check this one out. I got it from Amazon as Motion RC was out of stock on the Mobius for awhile and couldn't wait. I found this one while looking at the Mobius and after reading reviews went with it. It is WiFi and you can control it with your phone and download video directly to your phone. It also comes with a memory card and can download to PC. It also appears to have the same specs as the Mobius...
              I haven't put it in the air yet, but it seems to have the same quality as the Mobius and makes it easy to control from your phone. You can actually see your recording on your phone to make sure you have the right angle before flight...
              I hope to test it out this weekend and will post the video here for comparison... Link below...

Comment

• G'day boys, Well, here's my maiden report.

I've got good news, and bad news lol. Good news is the maiden went awesome, but only after I remembered to switch my rates back from full throws. (I had just done a 3D flight and forgot to click my rates back, so took off with all surfaces as far as they could go...):eek: But, apart from a super fast roll rate, no dramas. Once I figured out I forgot to go down to low rates for maiden and clicked it back, she handled like a puppy. Got my cg almost right, was just a touch nose heavy and a couple of clicks of trim sorted it.

Really impressed with the airframe. I expected big things after watching the demo vids and I wasn't disappointed. Second flight I went with midrates and got the cg spot on with zero trim, and went through one of my imac routines and it handled every manouver with ease. Super nice tracking, extremely stable and forgiving, decent power and verticals, and a piece of cake to land. I do have a bit of coupling towards the gear also in knife edge, but easily manageable with a bit of elevator. It does have quite a noticable pitch change with flaps, so I'll need to mix in some down elevator for these. (I landed without flaps today as the pitch change was enough to make me think it wasn't a good idea to land without having the mix done). Anyway, very happy with the plane and its performance, definitely a keeper! ;)

Bad news is my mate with my video camera managed to get 8 seconds of film of the maiden. He must have pressed the record button twice and put in on pause, as I have the takeoff, but that's it. Oh well, no biggie, just means I'll have to take it out to the field and get more vid over the next few days. Really enjoyable little plane to fly. Thanks motion and freewing. :)

Comment

• Originally posted by TomPatton View Post

Just curious, were you full throttle when the events occurred??? I had a P-51 that flew great but would do exactly the same thing on the backside of a loop or in a hard turn at full throttle. I backed off on the throttle and it would behave. I didn't like that because I bought it to go fast. I was complaining about it one day and one of the older experienced guys looked at my plane and told me to reduce my elevator travel and the problem disappeared with no notice in maneuverability...
                  I was at full throttle on the split S and have already decided it was a case of too much elevator throw inducing a high speed stall. I didn't see the issue until the past couple of outings where I was beginning to fly it more aggressively. Already moved the elevator control rod in one hole on the servo arm. It will make contact with the foam at 100% travel but none of my settings will be that high.
                  My YouTube Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrz...4Q-xrOOtP2C-8w

Comment

• Hello from Switzerland
                    I got my Avanti since Last Friday and i Love her!!
                    here some Pics of this amazing Bird.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post

Nothing a rattle can can't fix. ;)
                      Those wheels are the key though. I have a Sebart Mini Avanti 90mm on 10s and it barely gets off of our putting green smooth grass runway. I had a maiden flight on my Freewing Avanti last night and it got off the grass great. The wheels do make a difference. When the wheels are up and you are making a low pass, it looks great by the way. Seba says his design for the Avanti is based on the T-45. It would be easy to paint one that way. It is a very nice flying airplane.

Rick Pellicciotti
                      Avanti Jet by TriStar models is a web site devoted to Sebart RC Avanti jets.

Comment

• Glad the maiden was a success Shirty! Now fire your mate. LOL
                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Mine seem to be just fine. If you want them you can have them. I'll mail them to you, just PM me your address. No strings. ;)
                          Thanks for the offer. I flew mine three times yesterday and it did not disappoint. Very nice flying airplane. I think I will go without the fences for now.

Rick

Comment

Glad the maiden was a success Shirty! Now fire your mate. LOL
                            Hahaha. I'm missing my regular cameraman, he got a new job and can't fly as much any more. I need to find a new trainee lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by JZA80 View Post
                              Hello from Switzerland
                              I got my Avanti since Last Friday and i Love her!!
                              here some Pics of this amazing Bird.
                              Nice! :-)
                              Mine is waiting in Switzerland as well, but i'm currently away on vacation. Can't wait to come home and put her up in the air.
                              How is the Avanti compare to the Futura?

Comment

• Flew a total of 3 flights on mine yesterday. Great airplane! I didn't get around to trying the gyros the airplane flies so nice. Need to dial down the ailerons even more. Can't believe how slow it goes when landing. Last flight was right at sunset. The lighting is very good. Got a lot of nice compliments from the others at the field. Had a chance to fly with my wingman's Mini Avanti 90MM airplane. A lot of fun!

Comment

• Hello pilots;

So I got my Avanti S Friday and I'm going to start with the bad stuff first to get it out of the way. I must be the Bruce of the USA because I seem to get all the bad product. I was a little disappointed in my kit because of the problems I found and very uncharacteristic for Freewing.

First my rudder servo must be in back words or my linkage is to short because I cant get it to make it to the rudder with out it giving me 30% of left rudder. The servo is in with the arm forward of center, if it was flipped around so the arm was aft of center I think it would fit the linkage so the fix is either mess up the decal rip the servo out and flip it or punch a hole in the tail to take out the servo arm screw and index the arm back one spline. Either way it's going to mess up a beautiful airplane and I don't want to do it. Indexing the arm is not the best choice in most cases because you could end up with a differential left right movement because the arm is not 90* to the servo at center but because it's the rudder and I'm not going to need full deflection on the rudder I chose to go that route. (see photo) next problem is I have a similar problem on the left elevator as the arm is not 90* but one spline forward so again the linkage is to short so AGAIN i have to poke a hole in the foam to loosen the servo screw and index the arm back one spline. (see photo) OK so two holes down what else could go wrong:Confused:
                                  I'm so glad you asked:) so I'm hooking up the elevator linkage and I'm having to screw the ball links out farther then I'm comfortable with as there is not much thread left holding the ball link on the rod and I'm also getting a slight binding in the servo arm making the connection so I oped to switch the ball link to the inside rather then the outside of the horn to make the rods straighter to the horn. This involved some miner damage to the upper part of the fuselage. (Again see photo) OK; so two holes and two dents in my brand new plane before I even get it off the bench, not a good start.

Yes I too have the miss align nose gear doors and the loose ball links a minor wrinkle on one wing tip and a wrinkle just aft of the canopy but I'm OK with that and everything else seems OK.

So now the good stuff and some advise for you new Avanti pilots and would be Avanti pilots: I'm probably the "the Pappy Boyington" of this forum as I've been flying RC for 44 years now so I can help with some of your questions. / hope to work for Motion RC one day as a service rep (Shameless plug) ;)

This is a GREAT flying plane! very stable very predictable; I would not say easy and not for beginner pilots but it would be a very good choice as your first jet. Does it need a flight stabilizer? No but It would make it fly even better then it does already. The overall quality fit and finish (less my problems) is typical Freewing quality and I think it's just a great plane to have.

rpellicciotti be very careful using Deans connectors on a high amp draw model like a jet ; they can't handle that much load: my first jet I used Deans connectors and they came unsoldered in flight.

toyhog Some servos don't like being slowed down that much so try speeding your flaps up a little bit and see if that helps

I'm Fly mine with a FrSky Taranis Plus with telemetry and a GPS installed and a 3300mah 6S Turnigy 30C battery yes not a good choice on the battery but It works if you're careful. Hit 101MPH level flight full throttle but can't keep it there with that battery and I like long flights rather then fast ones so I fly it at 40% throttle and she still fly 55-70 MPH at that settings and I get a 6-7 min flight. she does 80 MPH at 50% throttle so if you don't burn holes in the sky at WOT you can enjoy the flight for longer. Weight is your enemy! bigger batteries does not always equal longer flight time. It takes more power to carry the extra weight so think about how you want to fly it when making your battery choice.

Expo / duel rates

When I started flying, radios did not have expo / duel rates / mixing etc. so I leaned to fly with everything 100% and just adjusted linkage on horn to get the right throws. later in life I tried duel rates and didn't like it because with the rate cut down you don't have 100% of the throw and you just might need it in an emergency. I was fling a P-51 one day forgot I had the duel rates on and try to fly inverted and flew right into the ground because I didn't have enough down elevator to keep the nose up. as I was walking out to the crash sight I was thinking what went wrong and then it hit me DUEL RATES. Now Expo is great because you can adjust it to feel like duel rates but you still have 100% of the throw and I don't put it on a switch it's just always on. The setting in the book are fine to maiden your new plane but they're just a suggestion of the opinion of the guy that test flew the plane. everyone has different tastes so you don't have to do it his way. I like a touchy plane so I maidened mine 100% no nothing. WOW! It took off perfect no aileron trim needed a couple clicks of up elevator and she was perfect. but boy what a hand full.. touchy was an understatement. half flaps was not enough to slow it down so my first landing was a little hot and she bounded and floated in. 6 flights now 50% expo and now full flaps on landing and she is just perfect.

I will be posting up a video of a flight so you can see my speed and flight time so you can choose batteries accordingly; I'm thinking Gens Ace 3300-4000 60C will be perfect.

Blue skies and safe landings

Kenny

Comment

• Aros, with all that Gorilla tape, you're going to need thisLOL. For those looking for a match for the yellow, try this one. I had it made for another plane a few years ago but, it looks like a good match when I painted my servos.

Comment

• Originally posted by rpellicciotti View Post

Those wheels are the key though. I have a Sebart Mini Avanti 90mm on 10s and it barely gets off of our putting green smooth grass runway. I had a maiden flight on my Freewing Avanti last night and it got off the grass great. The wheels do make a difference. When the wheels are up and you are making a low pass, it looks great by the way. Seba says his design for the Avanti is based on the T-45. It would be easy to paint one that way. It is a very nice flying airplane.

Rick Pellicciotti
                                      Avanti Jet by TriStar models is a web site devoted to Sebart RC Avanti jets.
                                      Looks like you & I have the same issue regarding the Sebart Mini Avanti S on 10s rotating off grass .. Hard enough when it's dry but when wet there's no chance... Totally different story with this Freewing Avanti though.. As you stated no issue at all rotating off grass ... Love this bird .. I can see the Sebart one taking a back seat ..:)

Comment

• Finally had a chance to take the Avanti out today. Put six batts through it, four 5000mAh and two 6200mAh packs with lemon 7channel with satellite.
                                        Like most have said it flys great. I used to recommend the FW 80mm F-86 as a first EDF but this model has replaced that recommendation. With surprising low speed stability and handling and very excellent ground handling I don't think someone new to EDFs could go wrong or do much better than what this model offers. All this on top of a fair turn of speed wide open and snappy maneuvering with moderate control throws. All around an excellent everyday flyer in a nice size package! This one will probably be tossed in the truck most trips to the field.

just my two cents.

BB

Comment

• Originally posted by TomPatton View Post

Not sure but you can check this one out. I got it from Amazon as Motion RC was out of stock on the Mobius for awhile and couldn't wait. I found this one while looking at the Mobius and after reading reviews went with it. It is WiFi and you can control it with your phone and download video directly to your phone. It also comes with a memory card and can download to PC. It also appears to have the same specs as the Mobius...
                                          I haven't put it in the air yet, but it seems to have the same quality as the Mobius and makes it easy to control from your phone. You can actually see your recording on your phone to make sure you have the right angle before flight...
                                          I hope to test it out this weekend and will post the video here for comparison... Link below...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019F2JXMO...B00DP1WYD2#Ask
                                          Thanks Tom
                                          GMB

Comment

Working...
                                          X