Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dahawk View Post
    Okay,

At Captain Momo's suggestion, I did a recal. It helped!

Freshly charged 6S 50C. Saw a peak watt burst of ~2,300 on the screen. Peak amps was 93. Voltage showed 24.7. Multiplying amps x volts gets me to: 2,297 watts. A 21% increase in power. I'll take it .Math checks out. I think that is around the same as what the stock 6S 9b is rated at if I'm not mistaken. Far better than the 1900 watts I saw before recalibrating. Worth trying to fly her again before replacing the combo. I don’t have the proper testing device to accurately measure thrust. My barometer for measuring is if it can blow one of my wings off the the rack on the wall. Lol. The esc is a no name 130 amp from Elmer at edfhobbies that I’ve had laying around looking for a home. No programming manual. I do recall that it was originally set for high timing. I'm hearing that an inrunner should be set for low timing . Don't know how to change it without a manual or programming card. I could try my Hobbywing card.

Might still be below my expectation of a fast Phantom known for her Mach 2 speed. If I can’t keep up with my 70mm BAE Hawk or a 80 mm Avanti, it will be a bit of a letdown. I want air superiority ! Lol

At some point, I may just bite the bullet and upgrade to hotter 6S like a JetFan or maybe a even a 8S setup. This Mach 2 jet warrants a quality power investment IMO. I would not like being passed by a 80mm Avanti- lol

Thanks again guys for all your advice and help in troubleshooting.

I’ll report back after the next flight.

Hawk
    Calibrating the ESC is something that is often overlooked and is very important, I do it even if I'm just re-binding a receiver.
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Yeah,

I get lazy sometimes and forget to do these things. A Phantom flying like a Hobbyzone Cub ? Was not fun to fly or even watch it fly.
      Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
      Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
      I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

• I got bit by not doing it once so now I'm a little OCD about it:Silly:
        TiredIron Aviation
        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• This jet flies so great! Cannot get enough of it. From early this morning Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	297.3 KB
ID:	141150

Comment

• Very nice, I like the simple clean paint job.

Comment

• Great to see some sister company livery ! Nicely done !
              Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39

Comment

• And a few in-flight photos of the same Phantom ... with pilot Justin posing down with the collectively bought/built/custom painted and graphiced/piloted model:

Comment

• Great shooting and flying, looks great:Cool:

Comment

• Those are some incredible pics good job Jonny thanks a bunch

Comment

• Outstanding pics Johnny, THANKS a million. Looking good Justin. :Hug::Cool::f4phantom

Comment

• I have numerous MRC EDFs, twin and single prop driven warbirds, and have never calibrated an ESC. All these were plug and play models if that makes a difference. Maybe I have been extremely lucky, I don't know. I thought I read in a post somewhere, that one of the Motion guys said that the calibration of the ESC was done at the factory and was unnecessary to redo...
                        Is the calibration procedure in the planes manual, or with your transmitter manual? I don't remember seeing any info during the build in the manual.
                        I am not having any problems, but sure would like to know I am getting all I can out of my motors...
                        Thanks...
                        Tom

Comment

• No, that's not the case, your escs have to be calibrated to your radio system. Otherwise it wont know where the start point or end point on your specific system is. That cant be done at the factory for obvious reasons.

Comment

• In the ESC manuals.
                            :Cool:

Comment

• When I hear calibrate I think throttle up, plug in battery, throttle down. Setting or changing the timing requires the ESC manual, tho plug and play shouldn’t require a change to the timing as that is set at the factory. Do I have that right?:Confused:

Comment

• By calibrating you are not entering the programming menu but letting the ESC understand what full throttle is on your radio. Sometimes it may not seem like it matters but it should be done and I have taken off only to feel like the plane is sluggish, then after calibrating the ESC have it come to life.

Comment

• So all there is to calibrate an ESC is, on all radios, turn on Xmittter, put throttle to WOT, plug in battery on plane, and I am assuming you wait for ESC to initialize at which time I will get a throttle high warning on my DX8, then move throttle to lowest setting???

Comment

• Yup. It should give a different tone prior to entering programming mode at which time you drop the throttle stick.

Comment

• Alright, thanks!!!
                                      Got a mission today...
                                      Get off work in 20 minutes, go home sleep for 5 hours, then calibrate 14 planes ESC's...lol...
                                      Seems I remember doing this a couple years ago on planes I ordered and put in the motor and esc in myself...
                                      All other planes have been Plug and Play Aircraft from MRC...

Comment

• Just make sure you turn on the Tx first, then raise your throttle stick all the way up, then plug in the battery to the plane. After the initial tone(s) drop the throttle. Your radio should not give you a high throttle warning. That would happen it you raised the throttle and then turned the TX on.. sounds like you have your work cut out for you. :)

Comment

• Yes,
                                          Just make sure to flip the stick to zero throttle before the esc goes into programming mode.

On most pnp’s, it’s not necessary but I do it anyway. When changing esc and motor combos like I did on the Arf+ , absolutely necessary.

Comment

Working...
                                          X