Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There’s the difference .

Comment

• I can't imagine the MCB was designed to work on viotages that stray far from the stock UBEC voltage output. Motion RC would have to chime in on that.

If I ever use an aftermarket BEC, or an external battery, I would still regulate the voltage to a max of 5.5V as I don't feel comfortable with anything above that. Even if people use a LiFe battery successfully (I know the voltage settles lower than the full charge relatively quickly, but it is still worrisome from a voltage standpoint) for a period of time using the stock components, there is still risk of the componets failing prematurely. I'm not willing to risk that, but to each their own.

Comment

• Just trying to add some redundancy in the unlikely event of a power system failure (ESC, BEC, or bad cell) I still can maintain control of the airplane.

Comment

• I had an odd occurrence with my Raptor yesterday. I was flying with a buddy and it was flying along great as usual when suddenly it acted like it wasn't responding to any inputs. Then it kind of "jerked" like I jammed the sticks all over the place and then I was able to get her back without incident. I checked to see if my rx was blinking like if it had suffered a brown out but it was still solid. No visual issues I could determine whatsoever. I guess I have to chalk it up to the usual "Gremlins" we all encounter in this hobby from time-to-time but it spooked me enough that I was one and done for the day.
          My YouTube RC videos:
          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Skosh25 View Post
            Just trying to add some redundancy in the unlikely event of a power system failure (ESC, BEC, or bad cell) I still can maintain control of the airplane.
            I totally understand, and redundancy in aviation can often be a beneficial thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
              I had an odd occurrence with my Raptor yesterday. I was flying with a buddy and it was flying along great as usual when suddenly it acted like it wasn't responding to any inputs. Then it kind of "jerked" like I jammed the sticks all over the place and then I was able to get her back without incident. I checked to see if my rx was blinking like if it had suffered a brown out but it was still solid. No visual issues I could determine whatsoever. I guess I have to chalk it up to the usual "Gremlins" we all encounter in this hobby from time-to-time but it spooked me enough that I was one and done for the day.
              I had a friend flying an Avanti experience the exact same thing last Friday. I was standing next to him (as a spotter) at the time it occurred. We checked virtually everything we could think of, including data logs, and haven't found anything suspect yet.

Comment

• Redundancy is fine but myself and many others have repeatedly said that the electronics we use today especially retracts are designed for 5.5vdc. Some are fine with higher voltages like 6 but a fully charged LiFe is way more than that. You have probably degraded some of your electronics.

Probably a good idea to remove your retracts, servos, lights, MCBe and wiring and replace it all.

last parts a joke...

Comment

• Originally posted by T-CAT View Post
                  I had a friend flying an Avanti experience the exact same thing last Friday. I was standing next to him (as a spotter) at the time it occurred. We checked virtually everything we could think of, including data logs, and haven't found anything suspect yet.
                  See?!? GREMLINS!

It's so frustrating when you have absolutely no idea what caused the glitch and can only be grateful you are able to get her down in one piece. Between the radio, ESC, battery and receiver a host of Gremlins could disrupt any section in the chain of any of those components at any given time without warning and more frustratingly without any idea as to what happened. Every time the tires leave the ground it's a gamble if they return to the ground in one piece.
                  My YouTube RC videos:
                  https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                    Redundancy is fine but myself and many others have repeatedly said that the electronics we use today especially retracts are designed for 5.5vdc. Some are fine with higher voltages like 6 but a fully charged LiFe is way more than that. You have probably degraded some of your electronics.
                    Exactly

Comment

Redundancy is fine but myself and many others have repeatedly said that the electronics we use today especially retracts are designed for 5.5vdc. Some are fine with higher voltages like 6 but a fully charged LiFe is way more than that. You have probably degraded some of your electronics.

Probably a good idea to remove your retracts, servos, lights, MCBe and wiring and replace it all.

last parts a joke...
                      Everything in this hobby is a bit of a gamble, and everyone should be aware of that getting into it. Just trying to minimize my risk.

Comment

• Originally posted by Skosh25 View Post

Everything in this hobby is a bit of a gamble, and everyone should be aware of that getting into it. Just trying to minimize my risk.
                        As you know, there are many variables in RC aviation that are a risk versus reward scenario, and I can understand your reasoning as to why you chose to do what you're doing.

However, it has potential to cause more problems than it may attempt to fix. Each person will have to make the call on whether something (mods, alterations, etc.) is worth it or not, and it's their own decision, but it's worth stating since it is something to think about.

If there are electronic limitations set by the manufacturers for specific components, I feel one of my duties (speaking for myself and not telling others what they should or should not do) as a pilot is to stay within those safety margins to ensure the most reliability, longevity, and safe operations of those components.

Comment

• Thanks for the education gents. I had originally acquired the rx pack for the MiG-29, but I'm going to keep it and my Raptor stock from here on out.

Comment

• Skosh, I understand but the LiFe by itself is too high a voltage. You could cut it down with a regulator or a BEC or use a 4 cell NiMh.

I have seen a lot of people do things on here in the name of redundancy or back up and end up with their plane in the ground because or extra complications like more connections, incompatible parts or systems, or just a bad extra solder joint... so many reasons. At the end of the day the FreeWing planes are pretty well designed as a system. Of course if you add things like lights, sound, heavy duty servos or what not you may need to rethink your power system.

Comment

• Skosh, I understand but the LiFe by itself is too high a voltage. You could cut it down with a regulator or a BEC or use a 4 cell NiMh.

I have seen a lot of people do things on here in the name of redundancy or back up and end up with their plane in the ground because or extra complications like more connections, incompatible parts or systems, or just a bad extra solder joint... so many reasons. At the end of the day the FreeWing planes are pretty well designed as a system. Of course if you add things like lights, sound, heavy duty servos or what not you may need to rethink your power system.

Comment

Skosh, I understand but the LiFe by itself is too high a voltage. You could cut it down with a regulator or a BEC or use a 4 cell NiMh.

yep, that's why i'm going to keep everything stock and not use anything other that what comes with the jet moving forward.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	image_60484.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	270894Probably can guess the answer, but has anyone attempted to retrofit the F-4 trailing link gear to the F-22?

I have been flying from a closed road and unfortunately hit reflective "bumpers" in the road for night driving doing so. They're not as pronounced as the above, but similar. I've snapped three main gear pins so far and also messed up a couple of wheels also (it's pulled the axle into the wheel; in one case cracked the wheel's rim). It's caused a bit of rash on my wingtips and I'm getting tired of dealing with it.

The trailing links should deal better with this type of shearing force and also probably soak up bumps better in general. My main gear springs are very stiff.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

• How does the high performance 6S version compare to the 8S version? 8S is out of stock. Is it worth the wait?

Comment

• Yes. But do you have batteries?

Comment

• Just ordered the F-22 PNP performance and RX700 and have a few questions.

I have a couple of 5000 batteries and would like a couple more. Should I try 6000s or stick with the 5000s?

Also, it would be nice to add wingtip lights. Any recommendations and how difficult would this be?

Thanks, Rick
                                        Hanger: FW F-22, E-Flight F-16, T-Rex 600, Twisted Hobbies 342, VIP Pylon, Flying Flags hotliner, 1.5 Maule,

Comment

• I posted my WT light mod in the RCG thread. Very easy, ordered the LEDs off Amazon and drilled a 1/8" hole through the wing tip to the aileron servo to pass wires through (no wire channel). https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...8#post40793531

Best mod is still TVs.

The F-22 carries heavier batteries well.

Comment

Working...
                                          X