Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
    Quick Hits...

- T-CAT, on the wheels, Alpha said to sort the thread for pictures, Tony posted the wheels with the measurements a while back.

- As for an ARF PLUS version, there is a plan for one but we are working with FW on price. Unconfirmed at this time.

- The 90mm nacelle (sans fan/motor unit) will be made available as an upgraded part. This nacelle is the same outer dimensions as the 80mm nacelle so the original scale outline is restored. We anticipate this to be available around the same time the spare parts become available (around the ETA of the first shipment).

That's it for now, carry on. ;)
    Thanks Aros :). I wasn't sure if anything changed on the wheel size. Just by memory, I think Tony may have said 3.5" for the mains, but I'll check back through the thread on my laptop. I tried on my phone, but it won't allow me to search within the thread, only a search within the entire forum.

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
      It's not really about the C rating of your lipo, but how many amps of power it can safely provide without voltage sag. For example, one of the packs I will be using is the Turnigy Graphene 6S 4000 45C. My testing shows that this pack is capable of safely supplying 120 amps of continuous power without issue (it's a true 30C pack, so 30 times 4000mAh = 120 amps). The ESCs in this bird are rated at 100A, so I'm assuming the actual unloaded amp draw on these is somewhere in the 90A range. So I have no worries that my packs will get damaged using them in this bird.

I also plan on using the Roaring Top 6S 5800 35C. I know for a fact that these packs perform extremely well in the F-14, so the assumption there is that they will also perform well in this A-10 as these fans are 9-blade versus the 12-blade in the F-14. I don't have any of these packs yet (getting 4 in the mail on Saturday), so I have not tested their true C rating. But from what I've seen and heard, they are excellent packs. I will put them on my ESR meter this weekend.
      Don't want to hijack the discussion, but had a question. How do you test and measure the true C rating, or amps continuous power of your batteries?

Comment

• I'm already there in bed with a bad cold. My sound bite in the video of my LX A-10 a few years back. The sound bite is from a live fire exercise with special recording equipment. Don't forget to turn up the volume and bass.
        LX A-10 in for the live fire in Tucson 5 years ago and the bird is still flying. Gotta wait for it and turn up the speakers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flash Jorden View Post

Don't want to hijack the discussion, but had a question. How do you test and measure the true C rating, or amps continuous power of your batteries?
          It is kind of subjective what is the "maximum current'. Max current is limited by how much voltage sag and temperature rise you think constitutes "worst allowable case". And since there is no industry-standard spec for test, the number on the label ends up being a little fuzzy in meaning. I was just reading and article this morning that shows some specific tests on batteries claiming various C ratings, which can give you insight into how to test, and what happens during high currents:

http://www.propwashed.com/graphene-l...ormance-tests/

And similar for capacity rating. I find that when a datalog shows about 60% of the rated capacity has been expended, my cells are already at or even below 3.8v. How low do you want to go? Myabe I could use 100% of capacity,but I'm sure it would harm battery life, and more importantly, I would be finishing dangerously close to the edge of the cliff in battery voltage. I don't ever want to fly or land in that condition. So is the battery really achieving its capacity rating? Again, there is no industry standard test for this.

I suspect that any "harmonization" on labeled specs in the industry is at least partly due to the fact that there are fewer actual manufacturers than there are brands. But that's just my speculation.

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post
            Hey Clearblue and Pogo, just wondering if you ever got the canopy mechanism from Banana Hobbies and if so, what are your thoughts. Personally, I'm kind of dead in the water 'til I get a spare canopy/cockpit part to play with. Just thought I'd check in on that, Brad
            Hey there Brad. well..... BH back-ordered it on me! :Angry: It was shown as " in stock" when I placed the order? Funny how that works. And So I don't have it yet. They say late March???? I did find another one, but it in China, so probably a month to get it also? Playing the waiting game for now. But as you have said, until the parts are available you're at a stand still. If mine gets here before my FW, I'm going to mock up that one with the light ply and pin's for the front end.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clearblue View Post

Hey there Brad. well..... BH back-ordered it on me! :Angry: It was shown as " in stock" when I placed the order? Funny how that works. And So I don't have it yet. They say late March???? I did find another one, but it in China, so probably a month to get it also? Playing the waiting game for now. But as you have said, until the parts are available you're at a stand still. If mine gets here before my FW, I'm going to mock up that one with the light ply and pin's for the front end.
              I'll have to look but I may have a spare. Will search for it tomorrow. You can PM me. I may even take it from one of my older A-10's. The mechanism works really well.

Comment

• I have one I would be willing to part with. If at some point I make my canopy open I will engineer a new mechanism for it. Just PM me if interested. Came out of my old LX.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flash Jorden View Post

With one of these:

PRC Home - FPV Racing Drones, Fat Shark, Tiny Whoop - iCharger, iSDT, & FMA Battery Chargers - Mean Well & Iota Power Supplies - ProgressiveRC

In fact, I just used it to test some new Roaring Top 6S 5800s. I need to let them soak in 73° temps for a few hours, but right now looks like they are good for 100A continuous, which is perfect as I'm going to use them in this and my F-14, both of which pull less than 100A at WOT.
                  Pat

Comment

• That device is out of stock everywhere. Here's a video showing it's use.

Take a closer look at our ESR Meter.In a world of inflated C ratings and marketing hype, the ESR Meter is an invaluable tool for objectively comparing LiPo b...

Comment

• Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post
                      That device is out of stock everywhere.
                      My friend Rick Distler took this over from Wayne and now builds them for Progressive. I'll give him a nudge to get more built and shipped off to Progressive. ;)
                      Pat

Comment

That's BH for you!
                        AMA 424553

Comment

• Hey Clearblue, back when I posted the pictures, video, and sketches of the canopy mechanism, I ordered one right away in case there was a run on them. There may or may not have been a run but it sounds like ColtPilot and or RCjetdude,THE ACE, might help you out. Actually, from that standpoint, I'm an ACE several times over.LOL Anyway, that's the part I love about this forum, and the hobby in general, is so many people stepping up to help each other out:Cool: not to mention the commeraderie .Also,RCjetdude, if you wind up engineering a new mechanism for the canopy,"we" will be very interested in what you come up with. And, because it's a group effort, I/we will gladly share our findings as well.:Thinking: What ever comes out of all this head scratching, we will all be winners:Win:so onward and upward, Brad

Comment

• Coltpilot and rcjetdude, thanks I just might take one of you up on that offer. Brad, you are absolutely correct. Most of the guys in this thread and others are good people! And having traveled around to a few fun flys and big bird meets? Most of the people in this crazy hobby are truly helpful and curious folks. I can't say that about a couple other groups I belong to!

Jim

Comment

Coltpilot and rcjetdude, thanks I just might take one of you up on that offer. Brad, you are absolutely correct. Most of the guys in this thread and others are good people! And having traveled around to a few fun flys and big bird meets? Most of the people in this crazy hobby are truly helpful and curious folks. I can't say that about a couple other groups I belong to!

Jim
                              I completely agree! One of the best things about this wonderful hobby is the friendly helpful people. I got into R/C aircraft back in 2010 and joined my local club (Beaumont R/C Club #605 in Beaumont, TX). I immediately discovered guys that wanted to share information, parts, tech support, teaching me proper set up and learning how to fly. Not only that but I have made best friends with them. I love these guys! Now I get to share what I have learned and it is such a good feeling!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post
                                Hey Clearblue, back when I posted the pictures, video, and sketches of the canopy mechanism, I ordered one right away in case there was a run on them. There may or may not have been a run but it sounds like ColtPilot and or RCjetdude,THE ACE, might help you out. Actually, from that standpoint, I'm an ACE several times over.LOL Anyway, that's the part I love about this forum, and the hobby in general, is so many people stepping up to help each other out:Cool: not to mention the commeraderie .Also,RCjetdude, if you wind up engineering a new mechanism for the canopy,"we" will be very interested in what you come up with. And, because it's a group effort, I/we will gladly share our findings as well.:Thinking: What ever comes out of all this head scratching, we will all be winners:Win:so onward and upward, Brad
                                Hi Brad! Just checking in to say hello and agree that there are some great people in this hobby, and particularly on this forum. As regards the A-10- is it June yet??
                                Tom

Comment

• Don't be saying June. Think positive. Late May and maybe we'll get lucky with an early arrival.
                                  My YouTube Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrz...4Q-xrOOtP2C-8w

Comment

• Ya never know. ;)
                                    My YouTube RC videos:
                                    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by bill34207 View Post
                                      Don't be saying June. Think positive. Late May and maybe we'll get lucky with an early arrival.
                                      If I have this jet in my hands and the calendar still says May I'll give you $100 (CDN)- about $2.98 USD. LOL
                                      Tom

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                                        Ya never know. ;)
                                        Hey Todd, that's the only thing we know for sure!!! And Tom, Jim, and redandblue450,good to hear the positive "vibes" from you guys. No matter where you live or what you do for work or your political persuasion or religion, we all have this communality that allows us to strike up a conversation with anyone at any airplane oriented event, whether it's an air show, air race, air museum, or RC air event, or the local flying field. Good stuff!! Hey, speaking of waiting for a Warthog to arrive,have you heard the one about how to keep a turkey in suspense? I'll tell you later.LOLBrad

Comment

• Finally got around to integrating my powder canon with the sound system to test it all out. I think it could work.

Comment

Working...
                                          X