Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manual recommends 105-110. Did you try it there first? I fly mine at 110 and it flies fine inverted, did not see any need to push it back any further.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Welcome to the Squawk demo50 , sorry to hear about your mishap with the Avanti. I would definitely agree that balancing this bird at 120 mm is too tail heavy. I fly mine balanced at 110 mm, with a RT 6250 (weight 795 g) pushed all the way back just under the beginning of the foam and after about 150 flights, it seems perfect for me. Flight characteristics at that point are, IMO, exceptional, very little elevator needed when inverted, knife edge virtually perfect with little to no horizontal drift and still able to get into a nice slow high alpha in flight and lands like a "feather". For me this is a perfect, "high performance" trainer EDF, so when you get the necessary repair parts and get her back up, definitely get back to at least 115, if not less. It will even flat spin at that balance point.

Honestly don't remember a lot of folks recommending 120 mm on this jet, but then everyone seems to have their own personal preferences on how they like their aircraft to perform, so "to each his own", but as for me and the way I like to fly, I'm simpatico with you.
      It is what it is. The only thing that survived was the horizontal and vertical stabs. The rest is toast. I actually enjoyed the way it flew, short of just a tad bit of hunting of the tail. It flew well until I caused the snap with to much elevator, then it just sort of tumbled over itself. It happened at about 15' high at max throttle (I always fly low and fast like it's a pylon racer, lol)...another 5' and I actually would have saved it but I did fly it into the ground trying to recover it. Initially I cut the power and realized real fast that wasn't going to save it, although it would have been less damage if I had just let it go that way, but nooooooooo, I applied power after realizing I was going to need it and that ground just jumped up at me.

Still waiting on that stock though.

Comment

• The snap from hard elevator use sounds more like a Havoc than an Avanti!

Comment

• The Havoc would snap with regular elevator. My Avanti will turn on a dime (and give change back) without snapping.

Comment

• Got the new one today. One of the elevator servo arms is one spline off. Really annoying since it is glued.....

Comment

• Originally posted by demo50 View Post
              Got the new one today. One of the elevator servo arms is one spline off. Really annoying since it is glued.....
              Consider cut a small and shallow sliver of foam that lines up with the servo arm screw. This would allow relatively easy access with a screwdriver to unscrew and remove the servo arm, adjust it accordingly, and then you can glue the foam back neatly (it isn’t much of an eye sore if it was cut very cleanly to begin with). With this done, you won’t need to remove the servo from its pocket.

If you see some current Freewing jets that were released and did not have servo pockets with covers, there is a shallow divot built into the foam mold to allow for easier servo arm screw access for this purpose. :)

Comment

• Originally posted by T-CAT View Post

Consider cut a small and shallow sliver of foam that lines up with the servo arm screw. This would allow relatively easy access with a screwdriver to unscrew and remove the servo arm, adjust it accordingly, and then you can glue the foam back neatly (it isn’t much of an eye sore if it was cut very cleanly to begin with). With this done, you won’t need to remove the servo from its pocket.

If you see some current Freewing jets that were released and did not have servo pockets with covers, there is a shallow divot built into the foam mold to allow for easier servo arm screw access for this purpose. :)
                I thought about that but it's not like the foam there on the horizonal stab is all that thick.

I just removed the elevator from the control board and took both servo's straight to the receiver, sub trimmed the arms to 90 to the servo, then readjusted the linkages to re-center the elevators. It took a lot (100 out of it's 240 range) of subtrim on the Futaba radio to make it happen. I get 25mm throw on both elevators with travel set to 90. Both servo arms are at about 45 degrees when actuating the elevator.

I just really don't want to cut into it, It'd be one thing if it wasn't new....Not sure about this gluing servo business.

Comment

• I get what you mean, for sure .

Comment

• Anyone know if Motion / Freewing ever have offers on for this?
                    I was eagerly watching the black friday and cyber monday offers but didn't see anything

Comment

• Originally posted by SilentPilot View Post
                      Anyone know if Motion / Freewing ever have offers on for this?
                      I was eagerly watching the black friday and cyber monday offers but didn't see anything
                      in Short no they dont, its too good a plane

Comment

• I've got one on the way!

Christmas present to myself, though it probably won't get here until the new year...

Comment

• Hi Guys,
                          I'm hoping someone can help me please?
                          I'm looking to upgrade my outrunner avanti to the new 9-blade inrunner assembly.
                          EU Motion stock is out, so I am looking to order from RC Castle. I am however struggling to find either the parts to make the fan assembly up, or even better the full fan and motor assembly.
                          Would someone have a link to the right parts or assembly please?
                          Assuming i can get a fan, will my outrunner ESC be ok as it is, or will it need some timing changes or anything else?
                          Many thanks.
                          Phil

Comment

• IMHO you are wasting your money if you believe moving from the motionrc 12 blade outrunner to the motionrc 9 blade inrunner will give you a performance increase. There is just not enough difference between them to make a difference. Now if you were talking about the edf package at effluxrc.com, then that's a different story and worth doing (well maybe, I don't want to spend that much money).

Either setup flys the plane beautifully.

Comment

• Originally posted by Necroscope View Post
                              Hi Guys,

EU Motion stock is out, so I am looking to order from RC Castle. I am however struggling to find either the parts to make the fan assembly up, or even better the full fan and motor assembly.
                              Isn't this the whole assembly?
                               - Rotor Blade Material : Nylon Composite With Fiber- Outer Diameter: 82.8mm- Length: 112mm- Weight: 354g - Rotor: 80mm , 9 Blade Normal - Motor:: 3658 1920Kv Inrunner Motor (Installed)- ESC: Freewing 100A ESC With 5A SBEC (Include)- Working Voltage: 6s

Also I found this from Aliexpress:

Also I found this interesting thread where MotionRC is asking feedback on inrunner vs. outrunner. Basically the inrunner setup has slightly higher performance, but there is much more detail in the thread:
                              If we can put a inrunner in every 90mm Freewing PNP 6S jet and get more thrust and more flight time without any weight penalty, what would you guys think? This would include all new and all existing 90mm Freewing jets. Before you answer, there's a catch. If this is possible (need to do more investigation and testing), we think

Also commenting on the difference between the two, I have owned both the inrunner (new) and outrunner (original) versions of the Avanti. Yes they are very similar, and both fly great. But I think I could tell a little difference, and preferred the inrunner. Whether it is enough of a difference to justify switching is a highly subjective question. Since this is a hobby with no actual purpose, I guess the answer is do whatever you like doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Necroscope View Post
                                Hi Guys,
                                I'm hoping someone can help me please?
                                I'm looking to upgrade my outrunner avanti to the new 9-blade inrunner assembly.
                                Would someone have a link to the right parts or assembly please?
                                Assuming i can get a fan, will my outrunner ESC be ok as it is, or will it need some timing changes or anything else?
                                Many thanks.
                                Phil
                                I have the 12 blade outrunner version another of my club members has the 9 blade inrunner version, no great noticeable difference, save your money

Comment

• If performance is so similar does the noise make any difference?

Does one sound nicer than the other?

Comment

• Originally posted by SilentPilot View Post
                                    If performance is so similar does the noise make any difference?

Does one sound nicer than the other?
                                    I prefer the sound of the 12-blade fan more than the 9-blade fan. That’s also subjective . This isn’t taking performance into account, simply sound and assuming both fan units are balanced properly.

Comment

• Yeah I prefer the whoosh of my 12 blade stinger over the 5

Sounds like a pukka turbine!!!

Comment

• Very little difference in the sound as well. Most of the Avanti's at our field has the 12 blade setup. One has the 9 blade setup. They all asked me which fan setup I had (they were just curious, all flew similar). I knew who had the 9 blade fan because he told me, otherwise I couldn't tell from the sound.

Comment

• I've sold my 12 blade to a guy at our field and I will order a new one early February.

We have a nice mix of outrunner and inrunner at our club now. The performance increase of the inrunner is quite noticeable IMO. As is the sound difference.

Essential RC also have a nice video showing the difference.

Thanks for the help and comments. Happy flying in 2021.

Phil.

Comment

Working...
                                          X