Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most ESCs have a hard brake. A few have reversing. Post a link of the one you are looking at and we can tell you if it has it.

I think the 120HV is one of very few Predators that can do reverse. Many Castle ESCs can with the latest update.

FMS Predator 120A HV Brushless ESC With 8A UBEC With Reverse Brake Function (rc-castle.com)

Comment

• As per Evan's post, it's the Predator HV ESC that has reverse. You were looking at the smaller ones that don't have reverse. I never made a video of the Predator installation in a dual application. I did, however took some pictures of the Avian reversing ESC installation for my PJ 90 Bizjet that can be found in that thread, along with some information. However, those pictures only give a comparison of the stock vs Avian ESCs and don't really tell much about installation. The principle is similar except that the Avians required 2 receivers. I used twin HobbyWing reversing ESCs in my AL37 but again, only a video of the plane's flight and landing was done. Nothing about how to set it up. I wasn't expecting anyone to be all that interested in how it's done, just that it was done.

In the PJ50 thread, starting about here in post 187
      PJ50 Business Jet Twin 70mm EDF Jet from Freewing https://youtu.be/8hGpIUMxBME US Product Page Link : https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...mm-edf-jet-pnp (https://www.motionrc.com/products/freewing-pj50-private-jet-twin-70mm-edf-jet-pnp) EU Product Page Link: https://www.motionrc.eu/products/fre...mm-edf-jet-pnp

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
        Most ESCs have a hard brake. A few have reversing. Post a link of the one you are looking at and we can tell you if it has it.

I think the 120HV is one of very few Predators that can do reverse. Many Castle ESCs can with the latest update.

FMS Predator 120A HV Brushless ESC With 8A UBEC With Reverse Brake Function (rc-castle.com)
        That is the exact one I was looking at. I read the manual for it and it does have a "brake" function but I didn't find anything about thrust reversing or how to set that up using the programming from the Tx. I understand and found videos how to change the program settings, but again, only that the brake function stops rotation on prop planes.I couldn't find a video for an EDF and reversing. :(

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
          As per Evan's post, it's the Predator HV ESC that has reverse. You were looking at the smaller ones that don't have reverse. I never made a video of the Predator installation in a dual application. I did, however took some pictures of the Avian reversing ESC installation for my PJ 90 Bizjet that can be found in that thread, along with some information. However, those pictures only give a comparison of the stock vs Avian ESCs and don't really tell much about installation. The principle is similar except that the Avians required 2 receivers. I used twin HobbyWing reversing ESCs in my AL37 but again, only a video of the plane's flight and landing was done. Nothing about how to set it up. I wasn't expecting anyone to be all that interested in how it's done, just that it was done.

In the PJ50 thread, starting about here in post 187
          https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...-thread/page10
          At this point, I'm just looking for "the other white meat" to use in place of AVIANs for thrust reversing. (Old reference from a commercial from the 80's-90's. <Shows age without trying to...>) Installation isn't the issue here, setting up the ESC for thrust reversing is. I'm 97% ready to pull the trigger on this ESC but I need to know how to setup thrust reverse. No offense to anyone here helping me, but I need to understand it and be able to do it, not just take peoples word that it can be done. Again, please no one take offense to that. That is just how my mind works. If I purchase it before fully understanding it, my mind will go crazy, and it won't let it go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doutrnz View Post

That is the exact one I was looking at. I read the manual for it and it does have a "brake" function but I didn't find anything about thrust reversing or how to set that up using the programming from the Tx. I understand and found videos how to change the program settings, but again, only that the brake function stops rotation on prop planes.I couldn't find a video for an EDF and reversing. :(
            I'm not sure what manual you are looking at but it can't be the right one. Here's the product page from RC Castle. On there, you can download the manual for this ESC. It so happens that it's the exactly same ESC as the HobbyWing because that's the manual they provide for the Predator. Even in the product page, you can see a lot of what you need to know.
            https://www.rc-castle.com/index.php?...roduct_id=8696
            You keep looking for a video. There is no video because nobody has made one.

Here is the manual. It's for the HobbyWing but it's the same as the Predator.

It's a simple matter of programming the brake for "reverse" in step one. This can easily be done via the beep tones. Then you can Y the two reverse leads together and plug that into an empty channel and assign a switch to that channel. Once you've done that, you use the TX's "monitor" to see what the travel limits are for the throttle. You then mimic the same travel limits for the channel that reverse is plugged into.
            Of course, it should be common knowledge that the two ESCs must have the throttle calibration done prior as ALL planes (single or multis, prop or jet) should have done immediately after binding.

Comment

I'm not sure what manual you are looking at but it can't be the right one. Here's the product page from RC Castle. On there, you can download the manual for this ESC. It so happens that it's the exactly same ESC as the HobbyWing because that's the manual they provide for the Predator. Even in the product page, you can see a lot of what you need to know.
              https://www.rc-castle.com/index.php?...roduct_id=8696
              You keep looking for a video. There is no video because nobody has made one.

Here is the manual. It's for the HobbyWing but it's the same as the Predator.

It's a simple matter of programming the brake for "reverse" in step one. This can easily be done via the beep tones. Then you can Y the two reverse leads together and plug that into an empty channel and assign a switch to that channel. Once you've done that, you use the TX's "monitor" to see what the travel limits are for the throttle. You then mimic the same travel limits for the channel that reverse is plugged into.
              Of course, it should be common knowledge that the two ESCs must have the throttle calibration done prior as ALL planes (single or multis, prop or jet) should have done immediately after binding.
              That was the same link I used for the manual I looked at. I did a search for "reverse" and found a section in the manual about what you mentioned. I deeply apologize for not seeing that part. I see... for clarification, once that switch is activated, it will go full reverse without any input from the throttle stick, correct? What I'm used to, using AVIANs, is I setup thrust reverse on a three position switch, (pos 0 = normal flight, pos 1 = controllable reverse thrust for taxiing, pos 3 = 100% full reverse thrust regardless of throttle position. I'm wondering if I can duplicate my AVIAN settings for this on that channel.

Comment

• No, it is a two position switch one way is forward and you vary it with the throttle stick. Flip the switch and then you have reverse again variable with throttle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doutrnz View Post

That was the same link I used for the manual I looked at. I did a search for "reverse" and found a section in the manual about what you mentioned. I deeply apologize for not seeing that part. I see... for clarification, once that switch is activated, it will go full reverse without any input from the throttle stick, correct? What I'm used to, using AVIANs, is I setup thrust reverse on a three position switch, (pos 0 = normal flight, pos 1 = controllable reverse thrust for taxiing, pos 3 = 100% full reverse thrust regardless of throttle position. I'm wondering if I can duplicate my AVIAN settings for this on that channel.
                  You best not use "Avian" thinking when setting up a Predator or HobbyWing. Principles are not necessarily interchangeable. Even though you have set up your Avian on a 3-position switch, having 3 different "modes" and you have most likely gotten used to it, however, this is not a good way to do it. The switch should only be a 2-position switch and it acts like the transmission in your car, which goes from forward to reverse. You then control how fast you go in reverse with the throttle (accelerator). The big difference with these ESCs is that the brake is operated for you no matter what your throttle is doing, before it actually goes into reverse. Having a position where you get 100% throttle in reverse has been done and it was quite novel when first reported. Myself and I'm sure, many others tried it and it just was NOT normal to do it that way and I quickly went back to the way it was originally meant to be. I seem to recall the guy who first did it coined a name for it, which I can't remember exactly but it was something like "Panic stopping". It was non-intuitive and at times, VERY dangerous.
                  If Avian experience is what you have, you should perhaps stick with Avian reversing ESCs, but as said before, you will need a second low channel smart receiver. Failing this, you might want to go back to your wheel brake idea and just get the biggest tires they make for wheel brakes and live with that. I think you'll be down 1" from the stock A-10 size. If you have any skill at doing "re-treads" on model tires, you might be able to build up the diameter in some way.

Addendum .................. with regards to your comment about going "full reverse" when you throw the switch. Full reverse is not a good term to use in this context. When you throw the switch to reverse, it will brake and then go in reverse at whatever your throttle is set at. Typically, when you are planning to go into reverse, you reduce your throttle to zero first and then hit the reverse switch, then you increase your throttle to max or whatever you feel you need to reduce your roll out distance.

Comment

You best not use "Avian" thinking when setting up a Predator or HobbyWing. Principles are not necessarily interchangeable. Even though you have set up your Avian on a 3-position switch, having 3 different "modes" and you have most likely gotten used to it, however, this is not a good way to do it. The switch should only be a 2-position switch and it acts like the transmission in your car, which goes from forward to reverse. You then control how fast you go in reverse with the throttle (accelerator). The big difference with these ESCs is that the brake is operated for you no matter what your throttle is doing, before it actually goes into reverse. Having a position where you get 100% throttle in reverse has been done and it was quite novel when first reported. Myself and I'm sure, many others tried it and it just was NOT normal to do it that way and I quickly went back to the way it was originally meant to be. I seem to recall the guy who first did it coined a name for it, which I can't remember exactly but it was something like "Panic stopping". It was non-intuitive and at times, VERY dangerous.
                    If Avian experience is what you have, you should perhaps stick with Avian reversing ESCs, but as said before, you will need a second low channel smart receiver. Failing this, you might want to go back to your wheel brake idea and just get the biggest tires they make for wheel brakes and live with that. I think you'll be down 1" from the stock A-10 size. If you have any skill at doing "re-treads" on model tires, you might be able to build up the diameter in some way.

Addendum .................. with regards to your comment about going "full reverse" when you throw the switch. Full reverse is not a good term to use in this context. When you throw the switch to reverse, it will brake and then go in reverse at whatever your throttle is set at. Typically, when you are planning to go into reverse, you reduce your throttle to zero first and then hit the reverse switch, then you increase your throttle to max or whatever you feel you need to reduce your roll out distance.
                    First, xviper, I want to thank you for all the information you have been providing. It is priceless. Thank you for putting up with me is also greatly appreciated! :) I think the person you were thinking about was Brian Philips from brianphillipsrc youtube channel. He calls it "Pilot Fatigue". I could be wrong though. The person you are mentioning probably was setting it up differently. I only use reverse when the plane is on the ground and throttle is at 0%. As in the case of a landing and all wheels are on the ground.

Not normal for you and others IS normal to me. ;) The way you are describing how you use reverse, has the extra step to think about when you use it and that is to manually put the throttle up to full 100% after engaging the switch. The whole time you are trying to remember to do that, the plane will be barreling down the runway towards the end. (Remember, I don't have grass at the end or sides of the runway so the plane will go wheels-first into desert terrain and possibly rip or damage the landing gear off.) I don't have the real-estate to remember or forget to do that. The way I have it setup on my other jets is all handled by the switch and all I have to concentrate on is steering it to a complete stop.

I guess I'm back to square one. I can use the AVIAN but the BEC will cause problems with the Freewing control board where the afterburner or landing front gear light will not function. Or put out there again what brakes will work with the A-10.

Comment

• Hi. I am going to paint the model. How are water decals removed from the model without damaging the surface of EPP, EPO etc.?
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by RAFALR30 View Post
                        Hi. I am going to paint the model. How are water decals removed from the model without damaging the surface of EPP, EPO etc.?​
                        R3, What method are you going to use to repaint? If you are priming the whole model, you can sand over the waterslide decals with 320-400 grit paper to smooth the surface, then 2-3 coats of Minwax Clear Water based Polycrylic or equivalent and finally primer. This not only covers the waterslide decals perfectly, this method adds strength to the EPO foam surface. Check out the RC Geek's video on refinishing a foam airframe. Best, LB
                        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Hi,can someone please tell me what sort of flight times are likely with 5000ma packs using mixed throtttle settings and also whether high c rating packs are needed for this model. Thanks

Comment

• This is my Hobbyking G500 that cruises at 50 percent thrust giving 7mins flight time on 5000ma packs. I would certainly go for the A10 if that would manage 6mins….

Comment

• Originally posted by buchst View Post
                              Hi,can someone please tell me what sort of flight times are likely with 5000ma packs using mixed throtttle settings and also whether high c rating packs are needed for this model. Thanks
                              5-1/2 min leaves me with about 3.8v on 5000mAh Admirals
                              Warbird Charlie
                              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Thank you for that info. I am guessing that this is not a high speed model anyway.

Comment

• Using CNHL 5000's weighing ~830g each and flying in a more spirited fashion, I get ~4 min. I plan to try some much lighter Coddar HV 6000s next season. They weigh 665g and I hope to add another minute.

Comment

• After upgrading to the 1920kv inrunners, i average a 5-6min flight time at 50% throttle or less using the admiral 5000s. I could probably stretch it to 6:30-7, but like watching it zoom by into a vertical climb out too much. On the stock outrunners, I was at about 4min.

Comment

• For those who like to max out the flying time on your A-10's, it good to hear you can get that kind of time out of them. For me, however, flying around at low throttle is like driving a Tesla through an endless playground zone.
                                      I wrung out nearly 10 minutes on an Avanti S once - just lugging it around, 1/2 flaps and just above stall speed. I had to get a spotter to hit me with a stick if they see me doze off.

Comment

• The 5-1/2 mins I stated above is with the stock outrunners.
                                        This bird can get up and boogie but for me just an occasional blast on the pedal, otherwise I'm loitering about doing figure 8's scanning for ground targets and doing touch n go's
                                        Warbird Charlie
                                        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Just curious how much expo folks are using on the elevator? I'm trying to smooth out my landings on a grass runway and not have it too sensitive.

Thanks!

Jay

Comment

Working...
                                          X