• Originally posted by SilentPilot View Post
      Mine arrived yesterday.
      unboxing later!
      Just in time for full lockdown!!!

Comment

• Bloomin typical

Comment

• Originally posted by demo50 View Post
          Got the new one today. One of the elevator servo arms is one spline off. Really annoying since it is glued.....
          I have several Avanti jets in various "conditions" starting with the first. Take note that all that I have do not have threadlock on the servo arm screw that goes into the metal servo shaft. One model I received only had the screws in part way. They can back out over time. None of them have the paint removed before gluing the servos. I have found 2 types of glue used. One is clear like the tube that comes with it that is good and is like E6000 (my choice) or Amazing Goop. The other is white like a silicone and is less than worthless. It can leave an irremovable film on the servo that prevents other glues from sticking well. I would like to see servo pockets, but that would add to the complexity and cost. I always tape the hinge lines even though they have nylon hinges because eventually foam always rips.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mach9 View Post

I have several Avanti jets in various "conditions" starting with the first. Take note that all that I have do not have threadlock on the servo arm screw that goes into the metal servo shaft. One model I received only had the screws in part way. They can back out over time. None of them have the paint removed before gluing the servos. I have found 2 types of glue used. One is clear like the tube that comes with it that is good and is like E6000 (my choice) or Amazing Goop. The other is white like a silicone and is less than worthless. It can leave an irremovable film on the servo that prevents other glues from sticking well. I would like to see servo pockets, but that would add to the complexity and cost. I always tape the hinge lines even though they have nylon hinges because eventually foam always rips.
            I can't really tell what type of glue it is without removing a servo. I pulled on them pretty hard, hard enough that any harder I would have thought would have separated the foam. I did notice the elevator hinge was already tore, before even flying. Used foamtac to fix it.

Comment

• I've been taking this Avanti every time I go to the field for many years, ever since it first came out. I haven't had any trouble other than routine hangar rash, but recently a wing servo just fell out. Fortunately this happened on the ground, and I glued it back in. But it is worth checking these from time to time.

Comment

• I think it would be a good idea to use hinge tape on all the control surfaces. Foam will loosen over time and the hinges will not be enough to keep the surfaces from separating.

Comment

• I just opened mine the other day

Initial impressions were of a well packed plane.
                  Secondary impressions revealed a few flaws...

Only little things, the main one being the front Gear doors were horribly out of shape but as more time passes with the wheels down it seems to be fixing itself. MotionRC have offered to help sort things but I think I'll be ok. I'll send them a reply and a thankyou for the offer.

The canopy is a worry too. I knew it came like this but it is still a concern, I don't buy a PNF plane and expect to glue anything let alone a canopy.
                  What's the best way to do this?

Gotta say though, I can't wait to get this in the air!

Tony

Comment

• Originally posted by SilentPilot View Post
                    I just opened mine the other day

Initial impressions were of a well packed plane.
                    Secondary impressions revealed a few flaws...

Only little things, the main one being the front Gear doors were horribly out of shape but as more time passes with the wheels down it seems to be fixing itself. MotionRC have offered to help sort things but I think I'll be ok. I'll send them a reply and a thankyou for the offer.

The canopy is a worry too. I knew it came like this but it is still a concern, I don't buy a PNF plane and expect to glue anything let alone a canopy.
                    What's the best way to do this?

Tony
                    Tony, it sounds like you are saying that the canopy came without being glued on. That's odd, I've never bought a foam aircraft that it didn't come glued on already, including this one. I always have to remove them to upgrade the cockpit or change pilots so I'd rather they came unglued to begin with. No big deal if it came that way, just get yourself some ZAP 560 Canopy glue. Goes on white (looks like Elmers Glue) but dries clear. You will probably also have to put some masking tape on as well to hold it in place and down while drying (24 hours).

Regarding the front gear doors being out of shape, mine originally came in good condition but after several months, they developed a severe bow from being held closed in the middle by the spring. I installed some carbon fiber tubes on the inside to straighten them out and they have been fine since then, about a year and a half at least. So if MRC wants to send you new gear doors, I'd take 'em. At least you will have a spare if/when then eventually bow and you'll have a spare to fix. Unfortunately I didn't take a "before" photo, but they were bowed severely.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200319_132927.jpg
Views:	1143
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	294391Click image for larger version

Name:	20200320_114730.jpg
Views:	1073
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	294392Click image for larger version

Name:	20200320_115609.jpg
Views:	1099
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	294393
                    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Regarding the front gear doors being out of shape, mine originally came in good condition but after several months, they developed a severe bow from being held closed in the middle by the spring. I installed some carbon fiber tubes on the inside to straighten them out and they have been fine since then, about a year and a half at least.
                      I think this is a characteristic of the design...many Avantis (including mine) have doors that look like Jewel's teeth. Good idea putting on braces, I might try that.

Comment

• I was thinking of putting a stopper behind the doors when closed so they can’t be pulled out of shape.

Short term though I’m just going to store it either with the gear down or (more likely) with a block holding the doors slightly open.

Comment

• I'm curious if anyone else's Avanti has this flight characteristic.

When rolling, say past 60 or 70 degrees, it wants to continue the roll. Put it into a turn, bank, let the aileron stick return to center, but unless you give opposite aileron it will just continue the roll.

I thought maybe I had some sort of issue with the dual elevator servos but I don't think that is it. They are matched through their entire range of motion, checked at neutral, 25%, 50%, 75% and 100%.

I thought maybe some sort of lateral imbalance but I mean, I didn't modify the model in any way.

Maybe I just need better coordinated turns...

Comment

• I believe that is a particular characteristic of swept wing designs

Comment

• Originally posted by Gringotuerto View Post

I think this is a characteristic of the design...many Avantis (including mine) have doors that look like Jewel's teeth. Good idea putting on braces, I might try that.
                              I just purchased my Avanti after a couple years of hand wringing. Regarding the deforming doors -- do they deform because they are stored gear up? Would they deform if they were stored gear down? I ask this because I hang my aircraft from the ceiling, and storing gear up or gear down is all the same for me - but warped doors is no bueno.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Page View Post

I just purchased my Avanti after a couple years of hand wringing. Regarding the deforming doors -- do they deform because they are stored gear up? Would they deform if they were stored gear down? I ask this because I hang my aircraft from the ceiling, and storing gear up or gear down is all the same for me - but warped doors is no bueno.
                                I suspect it is from storing with the gear up, doors closed and held in place by the springs in the center. At least that's how I believe mine got so warped as I store them with the doors closed. If you hang it from the ceiling with the gear down, doors open, I'm fairly confident you will not end up with warped gear doors.

BTW, you'll love flying the Avanti, IMO it's the best EDF "trainer" out there but does everything you want, from knife edge to high alpha to flat spins, and much more. You won't be disappointed in it even if you're an EDF master. Put a 6000 mah battery in and get 5 minutes of high adrenalin flying in.

Blows the doors off the foamy Havoc, and I don't say that lightly as one of our club members (Pablo Fernandez) designed and licensed the Havoc, but then his is a huge turbine and he's the best jet turbine pilot on the planet, IMO, and watching him fly is jaw dropping. Of course his large scale Havoc's are incredible and he regularly flies demonstration flights at all the major jet events with all kinds of turbine jets, but it's a pleasure to see him fly all his different turbines at our home field during the week with only a few people there to see it. The stuff he does with his turbines is in-human! Kind of like that kid Jase Dusia with his gasser 3D planes, only Pablo does it with huge turbines. And he's probably one of the nicest guys to be around, will even help peons like me with nothing but foamy electrics.
                                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Hi Hobby Squawk community,
                                  I need a replacement main spar for my Avanti-S but Motion RC are out of stock. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I could get one or an alternate that could be cut down? Thanks all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris_WaterGuy View Post
                                    Hi Hobby Squawk community,
                                    I need a replacement main spar for my Avanti-S but Motion RC are out of stock. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I could get one or an alternate that could be cut down? Thanks all.
                                    You could look for the spar of another model. I think the main is 8mm x 6mm x 450mm and the secondary is 6mm x 4mm x 280mm. The secondary is glued in and if you need it out you could try a 6mm ID metal tube (arrow shaft?) with a sharpened edge to try and drill/drive over it. This is an option: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3K-Carbon-F...r=432362922965 https://www.ebay.com/itm/OD6mm-Carbo...72.m2749.l2649 500mm will make 1 main and 1000mm will make 2 main or 3 secondary. There are different types of carbon layering, gloss and matt finish (gloss may slide better and matt probably glues better) and different wall thickness.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mach9 View Post

You could look for the spar of another model. I think the main is 8mm x 6mm x 450mm and the secondary is 6mm x 4mm x 280mm. The secondary is glued in and if you need it out you could try a 6mm ID metal tube (arrow shaft?) with a sharpened edge to try and drill/drive over it. This is an option: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3K-Carbon-F...r=432362922965 https://www.ebay.com/itm/OD6mm-Carbo...72.m2749.l2649 500mm will make 1 main and 1000mm will make 2 main or 3 secondary. There are different types of carbon layering, gloss and matt finish (gloss may slide better and matt probably glues better) and different wall thickness.
                                      Thank you Mr. Mach 9 :)
                                      I'm just looking for the main spar which is: 8mm x 450mm.
                                      It's a shame that MRC don't have a spec'n for each of the spars, then it might be easier to find an alternate within their range.
                                      So I think I'll probably search for carbon fiber tubes in the UK. I'm sure I can make use of whatever length is left over.

Comment

• Just received my Avanti a few days ago. I started reading this forum yesterday, got to page 50, (only 104 pages left to go). What brand of lipo do you guys recommend? Did any of you add brakes to the Avanti? if so, what brand, and where did you get them? Thanks in advance guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by flywright View Post
                                          Just received my Avanti a few days ago. I started reading this forum yesterday, got to page 50, (only 104 pages left to go). What brand of lipo do you guys recommend? Did any of you add brakes to the Avanti? if so, what brand, and where did you get them? Thanks in advance guys.
                                          You won't need any brakes, unless you plan on landing in the back of a pick-up. With full flaps, this aircraft lands very slow with a nice high nose attitude. I happen to use a Roaring Top 6250 mAh 35C battery, placed way back just under the start of those foam shelves. Handles the size/weight (798 grams) with no problem and I get 4 1/2 to 5 minutes of flight time without holding back. All the vertical you need even with that battery weight and will knife edge (high rates) at less than full throttle without needed any elevator mix on the rudder. At full throttle it will climb while in knife edge. You'll love this airframe!
                                          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

Working...
                                          X