X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scott Page View Post

It would seem that way however I changed plans for the green Avanti once things progressed. I'd purchased the Afterburner for my red Avanti that I started with. I'd planned to put that airframe to an early retirement and move the power system to the ARF+ I'm painting green. However as things progressed well with the Green Avanti I decided to purchase an additional power system and have both a functional red and the new green. I ordered a Castle Phoenix Edge 100A ESC and Freewing 80mm 9-Blade EDF Power System w/3658-1920kV Inrunner Motor. I could not find the FMS system recommended above to buy in the states (except on Amazon where they wanted $200) - so I guess this will be close to the stock fan/motor with a premium(ish) ESC.

Making slow progress - nearly finished the wings today - however I'm not happy with the way the chrome pinstriping looks in the curves. It puckers.Click image for larger version Name:	Avant Wings.jpg Views:	0 Size:	175.0 KB ID:	305356
    Scott have you considered using A4 self adhesive signwriters vinyl sheets( Ebay ) in gold or copper to compliment the green they are about $2 a sheet

Comment

• ... duplicate deleted.

Comment

• "I could not find the FMS system recommended above to buy in the states (except on Amazon where they wanted $200)"

That is a rip-off.

I got all mine from RC-Castle. Delivery is generally less than 2 weeks. I have them in my Avanti, Mirage 2000, EFlite F-4, and Gripen.

https://www.rc-castle.com/index.php?...roduct_id=8142

A distinct performance improvement over the Freewing unit.

Comment

• Best overall power system?

As this model has been out and flown with many different power systems (out runner, in runner, 9-12 blade)
          what is the consensus on the best overall style of motor and number of blades for general sport and mild aerobatic flying?

Considerations are thrust, longevity of motor, efficiency, and battery consumption.
          Top speed is not a consideration.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Originally posted by TBeghtol View Post
            Best overall power system?

As this model has been out and flown with many different power systems (out runner, in runner, 9-12 blade)
            what is the consensus on the best overall style of motor and number of blades for general sport and mild aerobatic flying?

Considerations are thrust, longevity of motor, efficiency, and battery consumption.
            Top speed is not a consideration.

Thanks in advance.
            Since no-one else has chimed in, I am very happy with my FMS PRO with the 3280 2100kV motor. It's around $80 and provides a very noticeable increase in especially acceleration and climb for a minimal increase in current.

I have put those units in my Mirage, Gripen and EFlite F-4 too.

Comment

• First post here people!

I'm really keen on working towards an Avanti S. I've already got two 3300mah 6s batteries and would rather not have to buy more specifically for the Avanti.

I've noticed that the recommendation is to fly on minimim 4000mah packs. Will she fly on 3300's without messing aroung with adding weight to maintain balance at CG?

Thanks, folks!

Nick

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	306997Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	306998Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	306999 Hi

This is my Freewing 80mm Avant with 3D printed Exhaust Mod & 3D printed detailed pilots with instruments in the cockpit cheers.

Comment

• Originally posted by thundercracker View Post
                  First post here people!

I'm really keen on working towards an Avanti S. I've already got two 3300mah 6s batteries and would rather not have to buy more specifically for the Avanti.

I've noticed that the recommendation is to fly on minimum 4000mah packs. Will she fly on 3300's without messing around with adding weight to maintain balance at CG?

Thanks, folks!

Nick

Click image for larger version  Name:	Turnigy 5000mah heavy duty batt placement.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.6 KB ID:	307001

Hi Nick

She will fly nice on a 5000mah pack just adjust according to the cg in the book don't copy exactly where mine is because i have a center burner in the rear also the 3d printed exhaust so mine is a little more forward.
                  Cheers

Comment

• Hi Hugh

I have also put in a Center burner that i have made my self, similar to the Light burner it has a 12v 144smd led light and is super bright in the day,Check i out.

The 3rd pic of the led on only at half throttle so will go brighter at full throttle.

Cheers

Click image for larger version  Name:	1617447382401.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.7 KB ID:	307005Click image for larger version  Name:	1617447382384.jpg Views:	0 Size:	41.9 KB ID:	307004Click image for larger version  Name:	1617447382369.jpg Views:	0 Size:	101.2 KB ID:	307003
                    Last edited by Con Papaioannou; Apr 3, 2021, 05:22 AM. Reason: Changing text

Comment

First post here people!

I've noticed that the recommendation is to fly on minimim 4000mah packs. Will she fly on 3300's without messing aroung with adding weight to maintain balance at CG?

Thanks, folks!

Nick
                      Hi Nick. It's an amazing all rounder of a plane but I think you would be disappointed with the experience on a 3300mah, both in terms of runtime and perhaps difficulty getting a good CG.

Have you considered the FMS Avanti 70mm? It's a similar flying experience and it loves that size battery.

That said if you're getting into the 80mm class EDFs you will likely end up with a flock of 5000mah packs anyway. The freewing Avanti is worth buying some for, I guarantee it.

Comment

First post here people!

Thanks, folks!

Nick
                        I fly mine with 6S 3300's 4000's and 5000's , all the way forward as i can with the 3300's . I do say tho she fly's best with 4000's ..IMO

Comment

• Con Papaioannou love your printed nozzle with the afterburner. Great installation of the aluminum foil; makes a big difference on this one with the long exhaust tunnel. Wouldn't have an EDF without AB's, even if it's not "Scale" and the only EDF I don't have them in is the A-10. Even one in my Stinger 90!

thundercracker, the Avanti is such a versatile airframe that it will fly exceptionally well with just about any battery and weight, assuming you can achieve your desired balance point. So it's a trade-off with flight time. I fly mine with a Roaring Top 6250 mah (weight 794 g) shoved all the way aft just under the foam ledge. It balances there at 110 mm and gets off grass quickly (and I don't even use TO flaps-no need to) and will knife edge with no elevator mix and high alpha all day long very stable. I'd go to 115mm if I could, but with that set-up I'm getting just under 5 minutes of flight time. Very rarely am I at full throttle and with that extended flight time it allows a very extended acrobatic routine (I'm not just cruising around in a level oval). But it's all about what works best for you, but if I were you, I'd put the largest battery you have in it and get as much flight time as you can. Just my 2 cents.
                          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

Since no-one else has chimed in, I am very happy with my FMS PRO with the 3280 2100kV motor. It's around $80 and provides a very noticeable increase in especially acceleration and climb for a minimal increase in current.

I have put those units in my Mirage, Gripen and EFlite F-4 too.
                            Between your Mirage and your Avanti, which one do you like best overall? Is the Mirage faster? Does the Mirage do well on grass? I like my Avanti and I am considering the Mirage.

Comment

First post here people!

Thanks, folks!

Nick
                              I would put in both 3300mAh packs in parallel. I like more than 2 minutes of flying and not just gliding a jet.

Comment

• My last flight with my Avanti S resulted in a minor molecular alignment at the front end so I decided the best way out was some minimal filler and yellow paint.. I also lost one of the tension springs and not wishing to pay a fedex £12 admin fee from the EU to UK ( excluding the cost of the spring and postage ) I found some piano wire of the right size and strength in my scrap box and made one. A bit of epoxy on the door tabs and the main spring to keep it in place along with a couple of balsa guides for the spring plus a bit of cf rod to stiffen the doors and I am ready to go.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210409_122523[1].jpg
Views:	756
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	307954

Name:	IMG_20210409_122315[1].jpg
Views:	755
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	307955Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210409_134843[1].jpg
Views:	768
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	307956

Comment

• Originally posted by paulrkytek View Post
                                  My last flight with my Avanti S resulted in a minor molecular alignment at the front end so I decided the best way out was some minimal filler and yellow paint.. I also lost one of the tension springs and not wishing to pay a fedex £12 admin fee from the EU to UK ( excluding the cost of the spring and postage ) I found some piano wire of the right size and strength in my scrap box and made one. A bit of epoxy on the door tabs and the main spring to keep it in place along with a couple of balsa guides for the spring plus a bit of cf rod to stiffen the doors and I am ready to go.

Hi Mate

There is a simple mod by using a rubber band to hold the front door spring so it doesn't invert forward & also it keeps it up so it doesn't move or spring off.

Some simple mods link below

Purchased from MotionRC, these are my simple set up mods. For the nose gear stabilization mod I used the +1mm link as my jet had not yet been flown. Link to ...

Cheers

Comment

• Originally posted by Con Papaioannou View Post

Hi Mate

There is a simple mod by using a rubber band to hold the front door spring so it doesn't invert forward & also it keeps it up so it doesn't move or spring off.

Some simple mods link below

Purchased from MotionRC, these are my simple set up mods. For the nose gear stabilization mod I used the +1mm link as my jet had not yet been flown. Link to ...

Cheers
                                    Thanks Con , I thought of that but rubber perishes, the way I have set the epoxy on the main spring does stop it from inverting or moving forward, the balsa is just belt and braces

Comment

• Originally posted by paulrkytek View Post
                                      My last flight with my Avanti S resulted in a minor molecular alignment at the front end so I decided the best way out was some minimal filler and yellow paint.. I also lost one of the tension springs and not wishing to pay a fedex £12 admin fee from the EU to UK ( excluding the cost of the spring and postage ) I found some piano wire of the right size and strength in my scrap box and made one. A bit of epoxy on the door tabs and the main spring to keep it in place along with a couple of balsa guides for the spring plus a bit of cf rod to stiffen the doors and I am ready to go.

Very creative on the balsa to keep the spring lined up, you architects are just too clever to be allowed to roam around freely. I also put cf tubes on the doors to keep them from bowing in and it seems to have solved that issue.
                                      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                      Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Hey guys wanted to share one of my latest videos. Found some cool footage flying the Freewing Avantis in formation. Enjoy...
                                        https://youtu.be/w6aGf9aCpNE[/COLOR]

Attached Files

Comment

• Eliminator Nice footage of having fun with the Avanti, this is definitely one aircraft that makes formation flying easy!
                                          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

Working...
                                          X