X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dr.Tom View Post
    102 flights on turbine setup, still like new, amazing plane!

Doc,

Did you shorten the mains on the Avanti? I know that some who fly on grass do shorten the mains by about 8 mm or so...Good to see this jet flying well.

Regards,

Comment

• Originally posted by Balsa Bob View Post
      I'm sure it has been covered somewhere in this thread ... but I can't find the info. Just checking to see if the CG in the manual (105-110 mm) is preferred .... or you have all figured out a better location ?

Thanks. Bob
      I see 115 mm mentioned many times in flight reviews for CG on the Avanti...

Comment

• MACE: No I left them stock.
        Thanks,
        All freewings fly great, later I converted T45 and 2 days ago Mig21, flies awesomeeeee

https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...729#post365729

My avanti was balanced so it would keep nose up if I lifted it from ground and let go.
        but it is very forgiving and has a wide range of cg (flew it with 4000,5000 and heavy 60000 6S)

Comment

• Originally posted by dr.Tom View Post
          MACE: No I left them stock.
          Thanks,
          All freewings fly great, later I converted T45 and 2 days ago Mig21, flies awesomeeeee

https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...729#post365729

My avanti was balanced so it would keep nose up if I lifted it from ground and let go.
          but it is very forgiving and has a wide range of cg (flew it with 4000,5000 and heavy 60000 6S)
          You have my interest peaked. That mig 21 is growing on me. I just converted an Avanti to turbine (K30)...Time to put the X-45 in a T-33...

Comment

• Hello folks,
            First post after receiving my Avanti, quite excited although the weather in the uk will mean I will have to wait for the maiden.
            I am after some advice please regarding an appropriate ubec. I already have a Hobbywing v2 air 5a ubec which I was intending to use, having seen in the MotionRC listing before I bought the model that the stock ESC had a 5a bec. However I have been checking the model over and when I looked at the esc it actually has a 7A bec.
            Not had a model with this many servos in before so wonder whether the Hobbywing will do the job (has a peak of 15A though)
            Any advice gratefully received
            Steve

Comment

• Love this bird, here is some fun dusk flying with the afterburner on!

Comment

• Can anyone point me to a site where I can buy 3D printed (complete) exhaust nozzles for the Avanti! Thanks to all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie P View Post
                  Can anyone point me to a site where I can buy 3D printed (complete) exhaust nozzles for the Avanti! Thanks to all.
                  I got mine off the classifieds on RC Groups. Nose gear brace too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie P View Post
                    Can anyone point me to a site where I can buy 3D printed (complete) exhaust nozzles for the Avanti! Thanks to all.
                    Wildvortex (advertizes on RCG) will print any of my 13 different Avanti nozzle designs. I have no idea what he charges.

The rear of the FW Avanti S looks unfinished. Here is a set of nozzles for the 80mm Avanti S, in a variety of styles from civilian noise abatement to MiG to F-4 to F-16 variable geometry to F-35 stealth. Print parameters are not important - choose infill and wall thickness according to weight needs.

Comment

• Kallend and Lextek thank you!

Kallend, I totally dig your designs and had them in mind specifically. I love your work on these nozzles. On my first Avanti I created an old school nozzle and used it… loved the look but the 3D printed versions you have created far surpass the fit and finish I was able to achieve on my V1.0 attempt.

I now know where to look and will pick one of these up. Thank you again.

Comment

• PS Wildvortex is quick on the draw, he’s already got my money, and I’m super excited to get a cool nozzle! Thanks again for the heads up and for crafting these for 3D printing, kallend! Legend!!!

Comment

• So in a recent social media posting there was a vote for the option for 4 different schemes for a 'V2' Avanti.
                          In addition to the new paint scheme, I'd be curious to know what other changes have been made. New propulsion system? New retracts? An option for a vectored thrust add-on or turbine conversion?
                          Tom, if you're allowed to, could you please provide some additional information on the new bird?
                          Attached Files

Comment

• With the new scheme that gets chosen, will Motion RC consider having the whole fuselage painted a base color, such as white, so there isn’t any bare foam?

Comment

• Personally, I like scheme number one. The visibility would be great whereas too much blue can be a problem for old eyes. Besides, as T-cat says, this scheme doesn't allow for very much, if any bare foam.

Grossman56
                              Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                                Personally, I like scheme number one. The visibility would be great whereas too much blue can be a problem for old eyes. Besides, as T-cat says, this scheme doesn't allow for very much, if any bare foam.

Grossman56
                                Same here, number one is preferred. Although I would like to see a Dark Blue and Orange, similar to the FMS Viper.
                                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• I made it! I just read this whole thing. Yes I have a red Avanti. Hope to maiden as soon as weather permits. Thank you everyone for the tips and mods. I bought my Avanti used from a very good pilot and he did some kind of mod to the front gear mount where he installed a 8/32 screw from the top side down through the foam to the underside just in front of the nose retract. I noticed it after I got home with the plane. That mod did not come up in any detail in this forum. Does anyone know if its mentioned in the massive rcgroup forum on this plane? I am just getting started reading that tome. I will try to attach a pic after work today.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Mathias View Post
                                    some kind of mod to the front gear mount where he installed a 8/32 screw from the top side down through the foam to the underside just in front of the nose retract.
                                    That's sounds like (to me) it was a "home fix" for a loose nose retract. The nose gear on this plane does come loose quite easily after repeated landings, even in the hands of a very good pilot. The screw is probably to stabilize the gear fixture to aid in keeping it from being forced to the rear and/or to help solidify the steering.

Comment

• Oh ok, cool. I will look more at it after work. I have enjoyed your feedback throughout this thread. Thank you for taking the time. The wing fences on mine were warped beyond hope so I removed them and printed up a set of black fences. They are 5 grams heavier than the originals. I printed and installed one of Kallend's Nozzles. Number 5 on thingiverse to be exact. Beautiful piece of engineering.

Comment

Oh ok, cool. I will look more at it after work. I have enjoyed your feedback throughout this thread. Thank you for taking the time. The wing fences on mine were warped beyond hope so I removed them and printed up a set of black fences. They are 5 grams heavier than the originals. I printed and installed one of Kallend's Nozzles. Number 5 on thingiverse to be exact. Beautiful piece of engineering.
                                        Thank you. Such "home fixes" don't normally get posted by the owner as they can be very specific and don't apply to the general population of planes. I left the wing fences off my old Avanti S and it didn't seem to affect the flight much. They do look neat, though and probable helps a little in stability. 5g is not significant for this plane in that location.
                                        I'm sure Kallend will be happy to hear how much you like his creation.

Comment

I printed and installed one of Kallend's Nozzles. Number 5 on thingiverse to be exact. Beautiful piece of engineering.

Comment

Working...
                                          X