X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
    Eliminator Nice footage of having fun with the Avanti, this is definitely one aircraft that makes formation flying easy!
    Hey Hug

Definitly yes and the best EDF Entry plane in my opinion. The same power setup and conversation through flying makes it alot easier then with different airframes.
    Rico

Comment

• I have recently purchased a Hobby Eagle A3-L V2. Upon using the gyro for the first time, I took off and then adjusted the gyro by using the front right knob on my Spektrum 9 transmitter and successfully brought the jet to smooth flight. I could not have been flying for more than 2 minutes when my Avanti jet began to loose power which ended badly as the plane could not climb above the tree line thereby losing my jet. Has anyone experienced a loss of power when using this gyro, or a shortening of flight time??? The jet had been flown numerous times by me and the battery was fully charged. All cells were full. Can anyone help me here??? Gary

Comment

• Originally posted by GaryBoya View Post
        I have recently purchased a Hobby Eagle A3-L V2. Upon using the gyro for the first time, I took off and then adjusted the gyro by using the front right knob on my Spektrum 9 transmitter and successfully brought the jet to smooth flight. I could not have been flying for more than 2 minutes when my Avanti jet began to loose power which ended badly as the plane could not climb above the tree line thereby losing my jet. Has anyone experienced a loss of power when using this gyro, or a shortening of flight time??? The jet had been flown numerous times by me and the battery was fully charged. All cells were full. Can anyone help me here??? Gary
        Gary, I use a gyro in everything, all are the Spektrum AS3X RX, and I would have to say the gyro absolutely has nothing to do with your loss of power (and sure that any other gyro including the Hobby Eagle would not have any affect either). One of two things, first a potential bad battery. Even though it may charge fully with 4.2 volts per cell, doesn't mean that all cells are good. Once had a bad battery and it did the exact same thing, charged fully (each cell to 4.2 or 4.18) and even after use, all cells were close in voltage, but half way through a flight I seemed to lose power. Finally tested it on an IR meter and could see at least one cell had 2-3 times the internal resistance of the others, so into the ocean it went.

Second thing is a loss of signal. On your Spektrum TX (assuming you are using a Spektrum RX-may also show on other RX's but doubt it), use the roller and go to one of the telemetry screens (I think it's the 2nd or 3rd) and it will show the number of signal frame losses (100 or so after 4 minutes not too bad) but also it shows the # of Holds. A Hold is very very bad, meaning you lost signal at some point and then may have gotten it back. 1 is bad, so anything over 0 is potential disaster.

Regardless, first make sure your RX antennae is as far from the battery as possible and as far from other wires as you can. In my Avanti, I located my RX in the very front, with the antennae going up into the nose. Then fully charge that same battery. Set the plane on the bench, hold it down, and run through a 3-4 minute simulated flight, full throttle taking off, mid throttle cruising, a few more full throttle climbs, etc. If the battery is bad, it will at some point (maybe 1/2 way through your simulated flight) start pulsing the EDF and losing power. If it's not the battery, then I'm betting it's a signal loss.
        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Here are some lessons learned that others may benefit from.

I was painting my next Avanti -- Had just finished application of clear coat - the final step in the job and when hanging the fuselage I dropped it on the nose (without nose cone on). To make matters worse - when trying to catch it I missed the catch and propelled if even faster into the the concrete floor. (insert angst here)

From the RCG Avanti thread I learned that the optimal temp to water bath this foam is 170F. At 180 the foam will gator. So I used my sous vide water bath to precisely set the temp to 170 and bathed the nose for about 5 minutes. It worked -- except when it dried the clear coat had become cloudy. (insert angst here).

So I applied another fairly heavy coat of polycrylic to the affected area and the cloudiness went away. (insert much joy and dancing here).

Other lessons learned:
          Clear coat painted parts BEFORE masking. The stock paint comes off the foam fairly easily.
          Tamiya 10mm and 6mm masking tape is the bomb! Very sharp paint lines even on foam.
          Liquitex spray paint is the bomb - no nasty vapors and a huge pallet of colors - however needs to be clear coated to seal.
          Liquitex overspray can be easilly cleaned off the foam with ethanol AKA methylated spirits or denatured alcohol. ]
          Minwax Polycrylic overspray can be cleaned off eye glasses with ethanol.

Here is the nose after my painting accident.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	171680746_288225232906588_8429196413907028517_n.jpg
Views:	1109
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	308541
          This is the nose after the water bath.

Name:	172805691_468260367850574_8640413417807781948_n.jpg
Views:	1050
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	308542
          Left side (the worst) after water bath and re-applying Polycrylic

Name:	171766640_507178510446505_6915424857805285334_n.jpg
Views:	1056
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	308543

Right side after all was said and done. This side looks almost as good as new.

Name:	171227680_361998985149554_7598838543656767994_n.jpg
Views:	1048
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	308544

Comment

• Just back from vacation and responding to several posts:

1. I have posted a bunch of exhaust nozzles for the Avanti on Thingiverse. Some scale-like and some fanciful:

See https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4785745

2. My Mirage is much faster than the Avanti but I have no idea how either performs on grass.

3. No possible way a gyro could run down a LiPo in 2 minutes without melting. The problem must have been elsewhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post
              Just back from vacation and responding to several posts:

1. I have posted a bunch of exhaust nozzles for the Avanti on Thingiverse. Some scale-like and some fanciful:

See https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4785745

2. My Mirage is much faster than the Avanti but I have no idea how either performs on grass.

3. No possible way a gyro could run down a LiPo in 2 minutes without melting. The problem must have been elsewhere.
              2) The Avanti performs exceptionally well on grass, in fact I don't ever use take-off flaps (the only EDF I have that doesn't need take-off flaps), gets off in 70 feet or less.

3) Agree, no gyro will affect battery consumption
              Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
              Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	953
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	308806

I added anther nozzle to the set I posted for the Avanti. This one based on the Rafale's nozzle.
                The rear of the FW Avanti S looks unfinished. Here is a set of nozzles for the 80mm Avanti S, in a variety of styles from civilian noise abatement to MiG to F-4 to F-16 variable geometry to F-35 stealth. Print parameters are not important - choose infill and wall thickness according to weight needs.

Comment

• Avanti Wall mount

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	855
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	309789

Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by bandetx View Post
                    Avanti Wall mount

STL file?

Comment

• Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by bandetx View Post

Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by GaryBoya View Post
                          I have recently purchased a Hobby Eagle A3-L V2. Upon using the gyro for the first time, I took off and then adjusted the gyro by using the front right knob on my Spektrum 9 transmitter and successfully brought the jet to smooth flight. I could not have been flying for more than 2 minutes when my Avanti jet began to loose power which ended badly as the plane could not climb above the tree line thereby losing my jet. Has anyone experienced a loss of power when using this gyro, or a shortening of flight time??? The jet had been flown numerous times by me and the battery was fully charged. All cells were full. Can anyone help me here??? Gary
                          I have/had these gyros on all 4 of my Freewing jets. Never had a single problem at all. I agree with Hugh that something else is going on with your setup. Sorry for your loss. -Biff

Comment

• Hey guys

Its already a while ago but wanted to share a video I did when i started flying the Avanti. My setup is a 6200 pack half inch back from the position the battery hits the foam in the back of the cockpit. I needed to shift back since the battery is 80g heavier then the 5000 pack. . It gives 1min 50 sec more flight time with a little throttle management. Up to know i lost numbers but I would say around 240 flight done since fall of 2018. A great trainer, a great warm up for big jets. We even do formations with them and have a blast in the later afternoon evenings enjoying the lights on this great sportjet.

Check it out.
                            After 90 flights plus still going strong. One out of the Box EDF-Jet which is pricelss. All you see is standard equipment from the day i put it together. Sub...

Comment

• So I have flown my AvantiS for 4 seasons and love this plane. I have cranked the stock motor up to about 128mph, but I want to go FASTER! I have been reading about the FMS 80MM V2 12 BLADE PRO 3280 2100KV EDF FOR 6S and I am wondering do I need another ESC for this setup or is the stock one doable?

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDeath View Post
                                So I have flown my AvantiS for 4 seasons and love this plane. I have cranked the stock motor up to about 128mph, but I want to go FASTER! I have been reading about the FMS 80MM V2 12 BLADE PRO 3280 2100KV EDF FOR 6S and I am wondering do I need another ESC for this setup or is the stock one doable?
                                I have that unit in mine, along with the stock ESC. Also have it in the Mirage 2000 and Gripen with the stock ESC. No problems.

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

I have that unit in mine, along with the stock ESC. Also have it in the Mirage 2000 and Gripen with the stock ESC. No problems.
                                  Thanks, any mods to the EDF mount spot?

Comment

The mounting hole locations are different, and a little foam sculpting is needed.

Comment

• Is there someone who can 3d print and sell some straight Wing Fences for the FW Avanti S 80 mm?

Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by Jabowil View Post
                                        Is there someone who can 3d print and sell some straight Wing Fences for the FW Avanti S 80 mm?

Thanks
                                        I just bought a 1ft sq sheet of 1/16th Birch ply at the local model shop and cut some

Comment

Yeah there is some carving that will be needed, and if memory serves you need to either move the esc back or extend the wires, because the fms motor wires are shorter.

Comment

Working...
                                          X